A Whirlwind Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

lottathought

New User
Michael
What a great weekend.
I had a pilgrimage of sorts.
Friday, I got to go to Scott Smith's farm.
I got the tour and had a great visit with him while getting some wood for Saturday.

And Saturday I went to visit with Rick (rbdoby) up atPilot Mountain. I also got to meet his cousin (gdoby).
My head is still swimming with all that I learned from Rick.
He taught me how to make walking canes. We got to make a couple.
I also learned a ton of tips and tricks.
That snipe in my jointer that I could not figure out for the last year....it is now gone.
A new method for correcting connection troubles, wine bottle containers..etc....
Gary introduced me to bowling pin mallets and pocket watch carvings.

And in addition to all the knowledge I got, I got to meet some really good guys.

Of course I know that pictures of the canes are a must.
One has some stain drying on the handle and I will be forthcoming with the pics tonight.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Always great to meet fellow members and to gather some knowledge in the process . . . . priceless!!!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Michael - It is great to spend sometime with some other great wood workers - glad you and the others had a great time

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike when you set out to met some members, you really choose some of the finest. Having met all three I know what a wealth of knowledge, humor and down-right hospitality they all have.

Now if you only had a camera with you we could believe it really happened :gar-Bi

Dave:)

lottathought

New User
Michael
I guess I am a slacker...
Also..due to time, I had one cane drying all this time.

So here are the canes Rick taught me how to make.
And there is no way I could have done this without his teaching.
I really learned a ton.

The finished cane was done in Danish Oil and Carnuba wax.
I did add a little stain to the handle for contrast.

IMG_9953.JPG

IMG_9954.JPG

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Michael, it was great to meet you last weekend and thanks for posting the pix of the canes! I thoroughly enjoyed our visit and am glad that you were able to make the trek to New Hill!

If you want, I'll keep my eye out for some specially figured oak to use for the handles; I actually have something stashed away that may work well on your next cane.

Scott

lottathought

New User
Michael
So what was the trick???

The trick is the outfeed table.
If you have the outfeed table the slightest bit too low, it will snipe.
I thought that I had the outfeed right. I raised it just a hair though and it made all the difference in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS