Search results

1. botebum

Cutting plywood

I've used this method time and again for cutting ply strakes for boats. The strakes are curved and keeping the sheets flat while cutting and being able to crawl along directly over my saw allows me to cut right along the line. A few swipes with the hand plane and it's right to the mark. Doug
  2. botebum

Natural Birdhouse/Brown-headed Nuthatch

Very cool! It has a "Hobbit House" look to it. Doug
  3. botebum

Shaker Dining Table

Thanks for the suggestion, Bill. I hadn't even considered WO. It's a great idea and I can probably raid the scrap pile at work for most of what I'd need (although I'll make a mental note to check here for better prices when shopping). WO would go well with the 'slightly worn' look I was...
  4. botebum

Shaker Dining Table

Thanks for sharing your build, Bill. I need to build a dining table so your undercarriage treatment was of great interest to me. I really like that approach. My top will be from some 8/4 Eastern White Pine (which I'll plane down and chamfer the edges on to decrease perceived bulk) and I...
  5. botebum

Best place to buy bedroom furniture plans??

What are the chances of Googling "mission bed", taking ideas you like from what you find, and working up your own plans? Use any bed plan for your general measurements and typical bed connections and throw your own sense of style at it. It might be a bit more difficult and you may have to make...
  6. botebum

Newbie to the Forum

Hi Scott and wecome! Have you decided on a boat design to build yet? PM me and I can direct you to some great links and some great people that might help you choose the right boat for your intended purpose. Doug
  7. botebum

Log sled?

Longer runners will make turning more difficult. You may want to try a tandem set up where the front runner assembly pivots and the rear remains stationary. Doug
  8. botebum

Cherry Bookcase

Thanks Brian! I figured it was something like that but in my mind I was running the router into rather than off of the taper jig and all I envisioned was trouble. I've got a big red "Oh Duh" mark where my palm hit my forehead after seeing how you did it. Doug
  9. botebum

Forum Suggestion

It's a great idea. Sort of a Bill of Required Tools. Keep in mind that there is always more than one way to skin a cat. For example- Chippendale didn't own a DeWalt Model #733 planer or his dad's Craftsman lathe. You might start a thread(although there's probably been several already) asking...
  10. botebum

Cherry Bookcase

Very nice! I have a question. At the ends of the fluting, did you use a tapered jig to slowly end the flute or some other method? Doug
  11. botebum

Single Life

Mike, I'm just hoping she brings her own tools:rotflm: Doug
  12. botebum

Single Life

Today I discovered one of the joys of being single again. I moved my small workbench into the dining room. I listened carefully but the sound of someone complaining was not to be heard.:gar-Bi I'm finally going to finish the mahogany tilt top table I started over a year ago. The remaining cuts...
  13. botebum

building a bed

When building hollow spars for boats the method is to insert blocking inside the mast at points where rigging, blocks, etc. need to attach. If you want to take a look google birdsmouth spars. I've always wanted to build a pencil post bed with birdsmouth posts. Strong, lightweight, unique. Doug
  14. botebum

building a bed

You could build box posts or laminate solid ones. If you go with box posts, miter the corners and chamfer them. It'll help hide the joint. Or build a kiln and dry the ones you have but that's a bit of a project. Doug
  15. botebum

Unusal request

When he said country, what he meant was that he doesn't want to pay a lot. What he really wants is french polished curly cherry with little brass handles. Try and meet somewhere in the middle and you'll both be proud and happy. Doug
  16. botebum

Log sled?

Do what I did and get a really big wife. She finally left but it worked for 7 years and I've got the cutest kid on earth to show for it. Well that ... and a HUGE stack of firewood:rotflm: Doug
  17. botebum

Pastel Beach Stuff

Good point Rob and I appreciate it. Flat exterior latex? The cost difference can't be that substantial since I'll be thinning it quite a bit. I should mention that initial cost is a major issue. I broke my pelvis falling off a house up in MA last December. My employer didn't carry the required...
  18. botebum

Log sled?

A little more than you need but some ideas about runner design to glean http://www.folkstreams.net/pub/FilmPage.php?title=187 . Check out some of the other vids on the site. A great way to kill an afternoon or three. Doug
  19. botebum

Pastel Beach Stuff

We only talked about indoor use when we spoke. I should be safe with a thinned flat latex for that, huh? Doug
  20. botebum

Pastel Beach Stuff

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of it before but I've got a book around here somewhere on faux finishes. If I can find it(too many books here) I'll see what it says. Failing that, I'll play around with some thinned flat paint and see what works best. Once I get the technique under my...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors