Pastel Beach Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

botebum

New User
Doug
I had a request from the consignment shop next door for some 'beachy' signs to sell to the beach goers that pass by.(I live on a fairly major beach route). When she told me how much the stuff goes for I was all in!
You know the stuff I'm talking about? Faded/distressed pastels that say stuff like "Beach" with an arrow. I've got a pile of old roughsawn cypress that I figure will fit the bill nicely.
As to the paint. Do I-
1. Make milk paint
2. Use flat paint and sand it
3. Thin flat paint and lightly sand it
4. Other

Most of the stuff I've seen lets the grain show through the paint. The lady at the shop said the "shabby chic" sells best so I'm thinking this is what she's looking for as opposed to a standard paint job in the same colors.
What do you guys say?

Doug

cskipper

Cathy
Cool opportunity! Sorry I don't have any suggestions. I'm sure someone will come along this morning with suggestions.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Thin flat paint, very thin, then if it needs it you can either add a coat or sand it.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Thin flat latex paint and sand lightly. Or while the paint is still wet streak it with a dry paint brush or dab it with a rag, etc. There are lots of ways that will work.

Do a search for faux finishing - distressing techniques. You may also find some good advice at a paint store like Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore. They usually have a good supply of faux finishing products and tools. I've taken a couple of classes on decorative and faux finishes. Small projects were easy to do.

botebum

New User
Doug
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of it before but I've got a book around here somewhere on faux finishes. If I can find it(too many books here) I'll see what it says. Failing that, I'll play around with some thinned flat paint and see what works best.
Once I get the technique under my belt, it's just a matter of knocking out a few different styles/letterings before the season starts(May).

Doug

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Doug,

You may have thought of this already, but I was picturing worn out paint (described in this thread) on old, broken, ragged-looking boards. Perhaps the polite word is "distressed". An undercoating of gray or dark brown that shows through the "weather-worn" paint might add to the look. Some work with a hammer, jig saw, or a logging chain might help too.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Doug, we've woodburned some cedar ones and use GF waterbased stains. You can use multiple coats to get a paint effect, go with one for more grain show, and mix colors to get custom/aged looks. You can scuff once dried to get more show through and then top coat. You could probably get the same results with their mild paint (pre-mixed or powder). I've been wanting to buy a can to try out since GF seems to constantly drop the stain lines we liked.

Are you planning these for indoor or outdoor use? Here's some pics of a few we've done and there are more in my gallery.

BathCedar55x7_001.jpg

BeachCedar16x7_004.jpg

PlayPark16x7_002.jpg

HTH,
Brian.

Last edited:

botebum

New User
Doug
We only talked about indoor use when we spoke. I should be safe with a thinned flat latex for that, huh?

Doug

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Doug, that should be fine. You could topcoat with a WB poly or polycrylic if you're going that route.

Brian.

botebum

New User
Doug
Good point Rob and I appreciate it. Flat exterior latex? The cost difference can't be that substantial since I'll be thinning it quite a bit.
I should mention that initial cost is a major issue. I broke my pelvis falling off a house up in MA last December. My employer didn't carry the required WC insurance and said they would self insure. At first the checks came hither and thither then stopped. I called them about it and they said they laid everyone off as of late Dec and I was laid off as well. My doctor only released me to return to work in the last week so I could collect unemployment. The Ind. Com. hearing could take months and I may lose my house in the meanwhile. I don't want to sound "woe is me" but I've got to get something going fast and the construction industry here is not being very accomodating.
BTW- Once I reach the max allowable income while collecting unemployment I'll have to take the leap and go it alone. It'll be rough but it's the only honest way to go.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS