Log sled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Does anyone here have a plan for a log sled? I want to build something to take the weight off my shoulder and put it on the ground where it belongs.

I envision a small light weight but very sturdy sled with tie down straps, runners and a large rope to allow easier pulling.

Not trying to pull 30 inch logs, just 12 inch firewood maybe eight feet long.

Glennbear

Glenn
I do not have any plans but for strength, slidability, economy and resistance to wear I suggest you consider PVC pipe as rollers or runners. :wsmile:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Mike, maybe you could find one of the log movers that tree services use on the cheap or make a knock off in wood?

media_nl.jpeg

Or maybe build/modify a carrier? I used to see the tongs like on this one for sale at flea markets alot.

media_nl2.jpeg

HTH,
Brian.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I thought about tires but after trying to move a wheel barrow through the woods I gave up on that idea.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
After Fran I bought a handtruck with the fat pneumatic tires. A single wheel on the front of a wheelbarrow or two skinny ones both sank too much, but the two fat ones have enough surface area not to, and I have some really soft ground near a creek in the back of my yard.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Would one of these maybe make it easier? Would get it off your shoulder but not sure it would be good for carrying long distances. :dontknow:

media_nl3.jpeg

Brian.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
What you gonna pull it with Mike?
This is interesting to me:
http://www.logsled.com/

Going back many years, my Dad made sleds with double White Oak 2 by 8's for runners (angled on the front face), a couple of WO braces between the runners, and a WO bed. We had an old horse to pull it.
You mentioned a long rope to pull with, you thinking of pulling it yourself?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yep, I saw that logsled.com... It looks great and if I had an ATV I would just buy that.

The only thing I have that will go up hill, down hill, around trees and rocks and over creeks and ditches is me. So, yeah, that's what I am going to pull with. I've been putting an eight to ten inch log on my shoulder and walking the 200 to 300 yards out of my woods and it is just getting harder every year.

I need something that I can strap a log to and pull. I have a couple ideas in mind and will build it this week or next. Just wanted to see if anybody else had a better idea or a picture or anything.

I will probably go with white oak for this first one. Will make changes and build better later if needs be.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Mike---------If you can find an old pair of snow skis at Goodwill, yard sale, or where ever on the cheap, they would slide good and would have good strength. attach a "bed" with tie downs and your good to go-------might even pull it with a garden tiller.

Jerry

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Mike---------If you can find an old pair of snow skis at Goodwill, yard sale, or where ever on the cheap, they would slide good and would have good strength. attach a "bed" with tie downs and your good to go-------might even pull it with a garden tiller.

Jerry
on the same line of thinking, maybe even a snow board. not sure how that may work but you could make it tow-able and get yourself a mountain bike to tow with. steve

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Does anyone here have a plan for a log sled? I want to build something to take the weight off my shoulder and put it on the ground where it belongs.

I envision a small light weight but very sturdy sled with tie down straps, runners and a large rope to allow easier pulling.

Not trying to pull 30 inch logs, just 12 inch firewood maybe eight feet long.

Mike, YOU are the "Master Sled Builder" on this site! I'm surprised you aren't just posting pics of the one you already built!! Get your son to loan you the one the Scouts pull!! LOL!

You need some mechanical power, Pard! A tractor or at the very least, an ATV of some kind. (It'll be cheaper than the doctor bills and lost time!! )

Like me, you ain't as young as you once were!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks for telling me what I already know! :rotflm:

The scout sled is too light weight, I want something sturdier than that. I wouldn't want to tear it up after all that work and BLOOD!

I'm working on getting a tractor, but even that won't go in the gullies and hollows where the good trees are. So, I'll still have to pull logs by hand at least part of the way.

Dragon

New User
David
Don't know how long you need it or what the cost would be but have you thought about renting a small Bobcat? :widea: Lowe's here in Lincolnton has a Sunbelt Rentals office in with them. Better than busting yer butt doing that manual humping. Did that last year here and so did a few other folks. I'm going to look into it myself and see what the cost is. Never ran one before so this might be several Kodak moments in the making.:eek::dontknow::jealous::cry_smile:BangHead::saw::XXfridge:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike,
You need a mule :yes4lo:
Honest! In the '50s my brother was employed "snakin' logs" out of the NC mountains with a mule.
And mules are very handy for plowing the garden and hauling stuff. You already have a goat, so a mule wouldn't be much trouble. We had a mule when I was a kid and dad made a big box with wooden runners to haul stuff.

BTW, our mule was named Hannah and I miss her :tinysmile_cry_t:

Roger

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Only problem with a mule is; They EAT! :confused_ And they need to see the Vet occasionally. VS. a tractor that doesn't eat when your shut her down! :wsmile: LOL!

We had mules from the time I was born until I left home in 64. Dan, Rodie, Pearl, and others. Not many today could begin to put the harness on a mule. But, I'm bettin' that 'ol Alabama boy can! :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS