Turning tool rack - simple but effective

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
I knocked up this tool rack for my HF lathe at the weekend after getting fed up having to unearth the tools from mountains of shavings when they were sitting on a shelf under the lathe.

This one has a gap at the top so that I can get to the nuts under the tool rest and tail stock. Has a gap at the bottom for my toes so that I can get close to the work. It is cut to fit the lathe stand and is simply screwed to the legs. It takes 21 tools and I could expand the idea to the two ends if I run out of room. One design point I wanted was to be able to look directly at the cutting tip before selecting the tool thereby removing the need to either look at the tool tip by picking it up or remembering which handle goes with which tool!

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

DavidF

New User
David
Have to say I was worried about using the words "knocked up" and "Rack" in the same post:rotflm:

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
That is something that I have been planning to do at some point. You have now motivated me to get it done. Where did you get the clips that hold the tool in place?

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
David,

I had the same thought last week when I was in cleanup mode and actually found ALL the turning tools. You really did a nice job with the thinking through, especially the toe kick. I'd consider making one, but I would languish three weeks before I would use up such a nice piece of plywood.

I spent the weekend putting bookshelves in a closet, and I scored a full half sheet of MDF as well as a SPF stud as leftovers. I went out this afternoon and spent a half hour looking at that half sheet. Man, I could really put that to good use, but I just don't want to use it up. Is Prozac an option for this illness?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
David,

I had the same thought last week when I was in cleanup mode and actually found ALL the turning tools. You really did a nice job with the thinking through, especially the toe kick. I'd consider making one, but I would languish three weeks before I would use up such a nice piece of plywood.

I spent the weekend putting bookshelves in a closet, and I scored a full half sheet of MDF as well as a SPF stud as leftovers. I went out this afternoon and spent a half hour looking at that half sheet. Man, I could really put that to good use, but I just don't want to use it up. Is Prozac an option for this illness?

:rotflm:welcome to the club!:gar-La;

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Neat idea, David:icon_thum. With your permission, I might just build one for my HF lathe...:gar-Bi

Thanks for sharing,

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Much better than the one that I made. I ain't gonna post any pics of mine:nah::nah::no::no:. Can I [STRIKE]steal[/STRIKE] borrow your idea?

Glennbear

Glenn
Nicely done, the vertical orientation with the cutting end readily visible is a great idea :wsmile:

DavidF

New User
David
That is something that I have been planning to do at some point. You have now motivated me to get it done. Where did you get the clips that hold the tool in place?

They came from ACE Hardware, they are the smallest size 3/8 - 5/8" Lowes does not have anything like them.

DavidF

New User
David
Neat idea, David:icon_thum. With your permission, I might just build one for my HF lathe...:gar-Bi

Thanks for sharing,

Please go ahead, just make sure you make some improvement to it!!!! to ensure we progress.....

DavidF

New User
David
Much better than the one that I made. I ain't gonna post any pics of mine:nah::nah::no::no:. Can I [STRIKE]steal[/STRIKE] borrow your idea?

Go for it!

I really hate making stuff for the shop so I like to keep it simple:rotflm: You may not believe it, but this never went through the CAD stage!!

DavidF

New User
David
Oh. :swoon:

I thought it was a turning, tool rack. :nah:

Well funny you should say that but that was my original intention. The plywood was going to go between the lathe and the stand and stick out to the right side by 16" or so and then I was going to build a rotating rack with a lazy susan, but to be perfectly honest, I couldn't be bothered:embaresse and this turned out to be even more convenient and takes up no additional shop space.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You have gotten quite the assortment of turning tools! You really have moved over to the dark side! I guess it should be expected after you took the turning class with Big Mike.

DavidF

New User
David
You have gotten quite the assortment of turning tools! You really have moved over to the dark side! I guess it should be expected after you took the turning class with Big Mike.

Quite a few of those I brought back from my old workshop in England when I visited a few weeks ago, they just about doubled my collection! They are a very old collection by Marples called "Shamrock" I have even seen them on antique tool sites!!!

I haven't really gone to the dark side, but it does fill the creative void between "flat work" projects. Once the table is in full swing I won't be doing any turning for quite a while.

Talking of Big Mike - Where is he?????? Are you out there Mike?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS