Pro Tool Jointer?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
Does anyone have any experience with Pro Tools? I have never heard of them and someone on CL has a set of tools for sale and this is one of them but I have never heard of them and can't find anything online so far about them. He didn't sound real sure that it was even the right brand. He sent me a pic I will get it uploaded and link it in just a bit.
jointer3.jpg

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Kevin,

They are not a mainstream line of tools -- if I were you, I'd stick with known manufacturers so you can get parts for the tools you buy. For something like a jointer where you'll want to buy new knives at some point, so stick with names like Delta, Ridgid, Grizzly, Jet or Powermatic. I'd keep looking.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
they were an importer in the 80s of taiwanese equiment. i think that's the jointer i have and i'm not a fan of it but i essentially got it for free, so the price was right for me.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
Well now he tells me it is a Jet Jointer and he wants $100 for it. I think I am going to pass apparently it was left at the house when he bought it so there is no telling about it. Phil if you are not a fan then I will stay away. I have to get over my cheapitis and just save up and get what I want a Grizzly or a ShopFox. Free is a good thing. I could put up with it for free.....

Rob thanks for the input I was afraid they were an off brand. I just don't want to take any chances even if it is only $100 which I don't have anyway so I guess that makes up my decision. :)

Thanks for the input and sanity check......

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
For $100, I would go and look at the jointer. Take twenty dollar bill with you, and if it is actually a Jet machine leave him a deposit. Come back later with the rest. Be aware that used Grizzly's 6" jointers have sold on this site for $150- $225 in the last six months. Unfortunately, with the economy being what it is, people are delaying up grades, so used equipment isn't readily available right now. Even Travis has held his purchases down.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
For $100, I would go and look at the jointer. Take twenty dollar bill with you, and if it is actually a Jet machine leave him a deposit. Come back later with the rest. Be aware that used Grizzly's 6" jointers have sold on this site for $150- $225 in the last six months. Unfortunately, with the economy being what it is, people are delaying up grades, so used equipment isn't readily available right now. Even Travis has held his purchases down.

This is my delima. I really don't want to pay $100 for something that is off brand and I may or may not be able to get blades for it. The picture doesn't look like any Jet machine that I have ever seen. That doesn't mean it isn't I just and used to them being white. I thought about offering between $50 and $75 to see if he would bite. At that price as long as it works pretty good I am okay with it and I can use it for my pen blanks and see how it does with bigger projects and if it works great if not I am not out all that much and I have learned how to use a new tool fairly cheaply. I don't know.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Kevin, for a few bucks in gas there a lot of folks close by that would let you use their jointer, including me, until you could get a nice one. If you need it, it is here for your using. I would hate to see you buy a pig in a poke so to speak. It does not look like a jet to me but I may be wrong.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Okay I looked mind is a "Total Shop".

That one looks like it has hand wheels to adjsut the in & out feed.

For $ 100 it's probably worth taking a look at. The main issue with mine is the fence, it deflects on the out feed, which essentially makes it useless.

I'd go take a look at it. As for your concern about knives don't give that much of a thought, knives are very standardized and you can always get knives. If you have any problems let me know.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
Kevin, for a few bucks in gas there a lot of folks close by that would let you use their jointer, including me, until you could get a nice one. If you need it, it is here for your using. I would hate to see you buy a pig in a poke so to speak. It does not look like a jet to me but I may be wrong.

I appreciate that very much and I will probably take you up on it. I know I am trying to get out of this mind set of buying cheap tools. It ends up costing me more in the long run. I have not commited either way. I will probably still hold off. I really don't have to have one right now and wouldn't use it for anything other than squaring pen blanks for right now until I can get my projects underway next year. I am going to be building a Small Jelly Cupboard and then move on to Norm's Pie Safe and if those go well I am going to build a Step back cupboard. I will be starting with the Jelly cupboard since it should be the easiest. :)

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
So in talking to the guy I have found out that it is a JJ-6CX I assume this is a much older model Jet unit. I am trying to find some info online about it but there isn't much so far. I have also got him down to $75, I am going to atleast go look at it.

Here is a close up photo

100_05421.jpg

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
For $75, don't buy it. Instead, send me his name and address, as I'm not busy tomorrow afternoon. Remember that you do have "friends in low places." I'm sure Bas would be willing to go with me also. This is a Jet that was made before they stole the "white paint scheme" from Delta, which later they sued Shop Fox / Grizzly for using. This machine ranks as a gloat. Get a copy of John White's book, "Care and Repair of Shop Machines." Shows you how to adjust machine using shop made jigs. Global Tooling will have knives to fit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS