• Location pin on map

Votes: 43 66.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

New User
Steve
I will be working on a new registration system for the site. The main purpose of this, is to automatically control the residency requirements of our site.

This will have some interesting possible side effects. A new registration will consist of entering the zipcode, like it does now. But, the system will be automatically able to capture the following information and fill it in for you.

1. State
2. City
3. County
4. Even the Lat and long of the center of the code and that could be used to automatically place each member in a google map.

So the question is, how much of this info should be public to the members? There are possible privacy concerns here, but they should be weighed against most members desire to find other members that are close to them.

I'm going to use the results the attached poll to help me decide what will be shown by default.

When you respond to poll, please do not answer what you think is best for others, that is a different debate. Just answer for yourself.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have most of my own info posted already, but I wonder at times if I have too much info (shop pictures and stuff) and make it easy for the wrong type of person to come visit me and clean me out. Maybe I am paranoid, just my .02.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
ummmm, where is the 'attached' poll???? or perhaps I can't see it at work. Sounds like a good plan, though.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Pete it is at the top of the page above Steve's initial posting.
I am happy for people to know where I live. I've made many friends because of knowing there are members around me. I think that city, county, state and zip are still vague enough that Simone isn't going to show up at your door uninvited...if you're paranoid about that.
Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
I vote for city, state, and pin on the map. I know ZIP will be collected because it is used by the program, but displaying it provides no useful information to a person reading it. I sort of feel the same way about displaying the county - it really makes no difference if you display it, but NOT displaying it will decrease the clutter in the postbits.

walnutjerry

New User
Jerry
I have most of my own info posted already, but I wonder at times if I have too much info (shop pictures and stuff) and make it easy for the wrong type of person to come visit me and clean me out. Maybe I am paranoid, just my .02.

In most cases you can go to a county site--------look up land owners, value of their property, when it was deeded etc. There is not much about you that is not already on a computer somewhere.:roll:

Jerry

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I vote for city, state, and pin on the map. I know ZIP will be collected because it is used by the program, but displaying it provides no useful information to a person reading it. I sort of feel the same way about displaying the county - it really makes no difference if you display it, but NOT displaying it will decrease the clutter in the postbits.
and will also help people not to call me "Wayne":bbiggrin:

I agree with city & map pin. State is kind of recundant for most, altho it would be nice for it to be identified for those not in NC. I have used the county in the past to narrow in on some locations easier with the map, but it isn't really necessary.

cskipper

Cathy
I like the county because its more likely to give me a general idea where someone lives rather than trying to figure where the gazillion towns are in NC. Could be just because I'm not a native.

SteveColes

New User
Steve
Ok, I need to clarify. The fields would available in the user's public profile. Which subset of those would be shown in the postbit is another issue.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
That being the case, I currently don't have a problem with any of them. However, it may be wise in this day and time to allow the user to block the info like you do with the birth date. With all the ID theft going on, registered members should have that option if only for the feeling of security. I personally view people that don't share much personal information as being careful, not stand-offish. Especially with new members, this site has to prove its trustworthiness. It is not a given in this day and age, and I wouldn't want someone to not join because too much personal data was out of their control.

JMTCW

Go

M

McRabbet

I use the County information in the public Member Listing to look for members in western counties that may be interested in the Western NC Woodworkers Association. So City and County is important to me. If zip code is used, any map will point to the centroid of that zip code, so precise location is never public.

Rob

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
and all this time i thought you were "Wayne Goldsboro" brother to "Bobby Goldsboro" the singer. remember him? he had one hit song "Honey":eusa_thin

Yeah, I remember. But now, tho, when i hear "See the tree, How big it's grown" I think: "What kind of tree?, Is it good for woodworking? Can I get some CHEAP?" :rolf::rolf:.
By the By, got some info today on a local Sawyer close to us that may also have a stock of local woods. I'll PM you after I check it out.

Go

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
This is why I have no last name, no town and wear dark sun glasses for pictures :lol:

Too late Jeff: I know somebody that knows some body that knows some body that knows where you live!! (or at least saw wood).:lol::lol:

Go

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Pete it is at the top of the page above Steve's initial posting.
I am happy for people to know where I live. I've made many friends because of knowing there are members around me. I think that city, county, state and zip are still vague enough that Simone isn't going to show up at your door uninvited...if you're paranoid about that.
Dave:)

Yup, that was not visible at work. depends on which computer I am on though, I guess. some of em I get pics on, some I don't...? guess I'll answer the poll now. :)

J

jeff...

Too late Jeff: I know somebody that knows some body that knows some body that knows where you live!! (or at least saw wood).:lol::lol:

Go

Seriously, you have no idea what a mess it was to straighten out, and he didn't even have credit cards. Maybe I'm a little too cautious, but I still don't think it should be a registration requirement. If someone want to provide that information then ok, but I wouldn't make it anything more than optional.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You're right, and I am paranoid. I get it from the time I was about 12 and came home and the house had been cleaned out. Scary feeling walking into your home knowing someone had been there and taken your stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS