Jet Mini or Delta Midi Lathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbeach

New User
Mike
What should i buy? They are both within 20$ of each other. Appear to be about the same specs. Any advice would be appreciated.

I bought the cheap hf 14x40 with disc sander a year ago... I dont want to make another bad decision on the next lathe

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are they both the HP motors? Are the swings the same? Go with the larger motor and swing. Qaulity wise they should be about equal.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
I have not used the Jet but I got a delta midi used a while back. It is a solid lathe for pens, stoppers and smaller bowls. For bowls I cut the corners on the blanks with a jig saw to balance it up since the lathe is light weight.

If I was looking now and I still wouldn't have space for anything bigger, I would get variable speed model. Changing the belt is annoying when making bowls and pens since I'm always speeding up as it gets round and slowing it down to sand.

Wes

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I have a Jet mini with variable speed as well as a couple other lathes.
The mini is an awesome machine. It will handle a decent sized piece.
I've had not the first problem from it and would replace in today with an identical one if I needed to. I've recommended it several times without hesitation. Not one person I know who has bought it regret their decision, although several have added a large lathe.
I just can't make myself turn a pen on the big jet - but I could...
If more than a 10" swing is called for though you need a larger machine. THen I'd go as large swing and horsepower as you can justify spending.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I own a Jet VS mini and have used the Delta mini at ACC in woodturning classes. Both are very comparable in most respects. I prefer the Jet as the knobs to tighten the tool rest are metal (at least when I purchased mine) whereas the Delta are plastic. The plastic handles break and must be replaced. Both have cast banjo's for the tool rest and I did have to drill out mine and sleeve it with a steel insert. After some time, the downward pressure tends to strip the threads and it will not hold as well.

I can easily turn a 9.5 inch bowl from a green log on either lathe with no problem. The motor on the mini's cannot handle a 1/2 inch bowl gouge on green wood but works well with a 3/8". The only difference is that it takes longer. Either size works with a dried bowl. Pens, bottle stoppers, boxes etc. are no problem for either of these lathes.

My advise, go with EVS, you will not regret it. I am not sure the 12" vs the 10" is enough difference to matter in this size lathe. Green logs must be very round at 10" with a smaller lathe due to the limited weight if the unit and it will become more critical with a 12".

If you want to turn larger items, purchase a full size lathe. The Jet 1642, Nova EVS or if you can afford it Powermatic (my opinion best on the market) are the best options.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
the jet gets better reviews. prolly because the delta has more plastic parts as mentioned above. same motor and swing. look at belt changes...... can your hands fit in there?:rotflm: the delta is difficult to get into for me.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Exuse me if I missed it,BUT which Delta an which Jet are you talkin about? :dontknow: I have the Ricon an love it.

mbeach

New User
Mike
Comparison on specs:

Jet 1014

10''x14''
1/2 hp
500-3975rpm

Delta

10''x14.5''
1/2 hp
500-3700rpm

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I'm not tryin to knock the Jet or delta,I have used the jet and it seems like a fine lathe,but when I bought the Ricon I was checking on what lathe to get an the Delta had a few to many bad reviews for me,but I got the Ricon because it has a 12" swing.Here are the specs if your interested.

Model 70-100 Rikon has taken the standard mini lathe to the next level with increased capacity - this mini lathe does more in less space. Featuring a 12" swing and 16" between centers with the ability to add one or more bed extensions. Shipping weight 89 lbs.
  • 12 position indexing head
  • Self-ejecting tailstock with 2-1/2" ram travel
  • 8" tool rest
  • Easy access to the top and bottom pulleys for quick speed changes
  • Six speed (430, 810, 1,230, 1,810, 2,670, 3,900) #2 MT head stock