WIP Black Oak Burl HF(Updated new Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
This is what I did with my shop time today! The wood is Black Oak Burl. It is getting turned into a HF, providing I don't blow it up during hollowing.

P1000461.JPG

P1000464.JPG

P1000463.JPG

Last edited:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Re: WIP Black Oak Burl HF

Looks like a great start. Are you planning on hollowing it out completely (just just a shallow hollow)? If so, how? I've yet to do any hollowing work.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

Looking good. I love burl but I have a tough time keeping it from blowing up. Good luck and keep those cool pictures coming.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Yeah, big props. I haven't tried blind hollowing yet. I look forward to seeing your methods.
That will be a pretty HF when you're done.

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO

One tip, don't use the HF banjo extension unless you are turning off the bed, or really need it due to maximizing the lathe's swing. The extension arm will just add extra flex potential to your tool rest resulting in chatter that you don't need. I have yet to find a use for mine.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member

Jeremy the original plan was to use this, but alas it went beyond budget so I will be doing this one by hand. Dave thanks for the tip, I was thinking about taking it off, but wanted to get the "throat" of the for hollowed out first. I think that as I get the walls thinner I may wrap it in painters tape to give it some more stability.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Gary looking real good. I can't wait to see the finished version.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff

Nice wood!

I would say "Can't wait to see it when it's done!" again but then I would have to know what HF stands for. Must be wood turner's insider language.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood

Thats going to be a nice piece when your done.Can't wait to see it finished.Good luck on NOT blowing it up:new_blowi.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
So I was finally inspired to re vist this turning. After looking at it for a bit, decided I didn't like the form, so I changed it. This one is THIN!! Tell me what you think.

P1000801.JPG

P1000802.JPG

P1000805.JPG

P1000807.JPG

P1000811.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Won't hold soup, it must be ART :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
Great looking HF :icon_thum What are you hollowing with? My wife just requested one from me, and it might call for a new tool.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Dave, I used a shop made (thanks Earl) Eliminator clone for under $30.00. Works great and little to no sanding needed. Also used the smaller Kelton hollowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS