Wife's Xmas present WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I got started Saturday morning on the construction of my wife's requested Xmas present, a kitchen hutch to store her ever growing collection of pots and pans.

I started with a sketch of my ideas:

Hutch_scan.jpg

Figured out the materials I needed. Headed out to get Poplar stock for the face frames and moldings, ply from the BORG (11 ply Blondewood crap :BangHead: ) and other stuff like glue etc.
The top and doors will be natural finished White Oak, that I got from Habitat for Humanity a while ago.
Here's where I've got so far:

Kitchen_hutch_002.jpg

Kitchen_hutch_001.jpg

Several firsts for me on this project. Dado/rabbet carcass construction made possible by a decent dado stack that cuts square bottom dados. It's a Jesda set and set up dead on the first time using their 3/32" chipper for undersized ply. And face frame joinery with pocket screws, made possible by my new Kreg jig (every project requires a new tool :-D :-D ) I like using it, but was surprised as to how long it took to actually drill the pocket hole, and how much force it took on the drill to get 'r' done :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

I still have a fair bit more work to do. I have to make the flat panel doors, and the top shelving unit, sand everything, and then...paint all but the top and doors black 8-O 8-O :crybaby2: :crybaby2:
Here's the rest of the project:

Kitchen_hutch_003.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you've made it this far, I have a design question. What kind of edge profile should I use on the top? :dontknow: It's a 1" thick, and will have a ½" cove molding under it. About half of it will be covered by the upper shelf unit, but all three edges will be exposed.
Thanks for scrolling, looking and any advice that you can offer.
Dave:)

tonyps

New User
Tony
Wow, coming along really nice...I thin the edge design would depend on the other items in that area, but you pretty much cannot go wrong with a good sized round over...
Question for ya? Where si the Habitat place you mentioned? and do you know of a good source for the light weight blondewood ply??
Really nice work..

dtomasch

New User
David
Dave,
I am partial to a beveled bottom edge like Monty's bed side tables project. Leave a 1/4'' reveal in front of your cove mould and then a 15 deg. bevel. Just my opinion. Looks great though Thanks for pics. Black????????

Monty

New User
Monty
Looking good! Regarding that edge profile, maybe experiment with something like this (upside down) with a matching roundover on top....?

258_CLASSBOLDCOVERND_A.jpg

Depending on what the molding under the edge looks like, it might flow well together. I'm sure there are better profiles out there... it'll be interesting to see what you come up with. Keep us posted on your progress!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Question for ya? Where si the Habitat place you mentioned? and do you know of a good source for the light weight blondewood ply??
Really nice work..

Tony, the Habitat Re-use center is located off of Hodges St. between Atlantic Ave. and Capital Blvd. just inside the beltline in Raleigh. Is is a great place to find deals on surplus building materials, donated stuff like the W. Oak I got, and deconstruction materials from their house re-habs.
I got the ply I used at Lowe's, I don't consider it good ply or the best source, but it's cheap, readily available and only 2 miles from the house.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,
I am partial to a beveled bottom edge like Monty's bed side tables project. Leave a 1/4'' reveal in front of your cove mould and then a 15 deg. bevel. Just my opinion. Looks great though Thanks for pics. Black????????

Dave, I like that idea, it would give me a good reason to use my freshly tuned #5. Black...it matches other things in the kitchen, SWMBO says that matching is good :roll: :5dunce: :eusa_doh:

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Nice job Dave!! You got tons more done than I would have in that time. She's gonna really like that when it's finished.

Tom

T

toolferone

Dave, looking good. Since you are going to have cove molding on it I would do the reverse and do a around over on the edge. I feel they match great! Is this what the hinges are for?

sawman

New User
Albert
Dave, I agree with the other Dave, a beveled edge would look good on the top. You may want to try some test cuts for the amount of revel you want showing with the molding to find the desired look. I have used the bevel cut on several small tables I have made and have been very pleased with it. I did not pullout my trusty #5, but used a jig on my table saw to bevel it. From looking at the photos it looks like slab sawn white oak and hopefully you have some rays showing on the edges. I do like the design and it really hurts to put paint over wood. I know you will post the completed project. Nice work. As to the kreg jig, it does take some time to drill the holes but when you screw it together, with glue, it makes a very strong face frame.
Later,
Albert, Al or whatever

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
:eusa_clap Wow Dave you are making fast work of it :icon_thum At this rate you will be done a week before Christmas :rolf: I with Tom on this one a round over would look good with cove molding

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great progress, DaveO!!!!

I really like the base of the cabinet. Is that a bead of some sort just above the arch? That is a really nice touch and would appreciate any details as to how you did that!

Thanks,

Wayne

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Lowes carries blondewood which i have been using on my kitchen cabinets. It does splinter when cut which is the only complaint I have had thus far. I noticed someone said it would warp. I ran across one piece yesterday that had warped but it wasn't a problem for me this time. Dave, I love the new piece and can't wait to see it completed. Isn't it fun creating something totally your own? Lorraine

rhett

New User
rhett
Excellent progress Dave. I am glad to see that you used dadoes instead of biscuits for your carcass. My suggestion for the lip profile is a 1" bullnose over top of the cove. I have found the half round over cove to be a very popular choice among clients. There is actually a multi-profile shaper head that cuts a smaller version of it that I use for light rail. Keep up the good work.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Great progress, DaveO!!!!

I really like the base of the cabinet. Is that a bead of some sort just above the arch? That is a really nice touch and would appreciate any details as to how you did that!

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne, I used a ½" beading bit (Woodcraft $5'er) and some ½" stock. I buried the bit in the fence so it was flush with the bearing. Cut the bead and then ripped the bead off of the wider stock ½" x ¼"..half round. Glued it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors