Wife and her small projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Between cutting grass planting flowers, and making a stand for trash cans.
My wife has come up with yet another small project she just has to have.
Its a holder for cards or small pictures ect.
I made one and she said the lip in the front is too small, so I made a second one. I dont like it so its back to the drawing board and I will be yet making another:lol:.
Both are made from RO, both have BLO then hand wipped Garnet shallec until I got the color I wanted, then sander lightly with 400 grit then more wipped shallec.
The second one I tried to do a French polish:rolf:, Ya I know but I am learning:lol::lol:, I did get some shine , dont know if you can it in the pic.
THE FRIST ONE
dsp3.jpg

WHAT ITS FOR

dsp4.jpg

Second one with french polish:rolf:

dsp2.jpg

Second one again

dsp1.jpg

Now dont laugh too hard

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Earl,

That French polish looks great!!!!!!! It really seems to serve the purpose (second pic)!

I really don't understand what there is not to like!

Good job! (Small pieces are sometimes the most challenging. For me, anyway!)

Anyway. I like it!!!

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Earl, I don't know diddly about finishing . . . but, the last two almost have a tiger figure :cool:

So I think it looks great :mrgreen:

Sapwood

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Actually, it looks good, but with french polishing wouldn't you need to fill the pores first? The fact that I don't know is why I am asking.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Looking good Earl. I like the sheen you manged to rub into the second one. Nice grain figure on it also.

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
I'm voting on the french polish as well. (Are we voting?) That grain looks like it has some curl to it. Is that possible with RO?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I, too like the second one with the French polish. I think it looks like a finished product.

And the sheen is visible in the pics, too! I like that look a lot.

Chuck

J

jeff...

How thick is the back? Cool idea and great craftsmanship.

I found if my wife communicates what she wants and can draw up an high level plan. When it's done she takes as much pride in it as I do, she can then say "I designed it" which is 1/2 the battle of making anything, least for me it is...

Recently, she designed a huge pantry with 5 flip out potato bins on the bottom, 3 of which she uses for a hamper, whites, darks and lights. The kids marvel at the design and show it off to their friends and my wife glows when the say how cool it is... The kids are eager to put their dirty cloths in em and my wife benifits by not having to seperate whites, darks and lights.

So don't discount the ideas of your wife, mine is very insightful to say the least.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Travis
If I wanted a compleatly smooth surface I would of course have to fill the pores, technically it may not be french polish, but it was done in that manner:lol::lol:

Clay

Thats one small peice of RO I had and it does seam to have curl never seen it before in RO

Mike

It is possable for it to be quarter sawn , but i dont think so.

Jeff

The back is 1/4"

Thanks all:lol:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Lookin' good, neighbor. Good to know there's a finishing expert nearby when I start to get into shellac work!!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors