What Tree Is This? (UPDATED with newer pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Here's one for the "DaveO" to ponder on. I cut down one of these last year and left it lay far too long and the bugs got it. Haven't cut this one down yet but based on last year's tree, the interior wood is relatively bright yellow and quite sappy. Didn't have much of a smell to speak of but then at that time I had been some burning in the area and everything smelled like charred wood.
SANY0538.JPG

SANY0540.JPG

Sorry, that one is a bit out of focus but I was trying to get close to the bark for detail. Little too close huh?:BangHead:

SawBuck

New User
Lonnie
Re: What Tree Is This?

The trunk kind of looks like persimmon. Did you notice any dried up fruit laying on the ground around it?

-Lonnie

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

David, if it turns out to be persimmon be sure to get it milled. The wood is absolutely gorgeous - lots of orange and black swirls in it.

Scott

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Looks like persimmon, I've cut quite a few small ones. I've had trouble with the bugs too. I cut up a nice 8 - 10 inch tree for mallets and bugs got all in it, I even sealed the ends but it didn't help.

Next time I'm going to strip the bark, seal the ends and seal it in a bag with something to kill the bugs.

When it's fresh it cuts like butter, but it splits pretty bad.

I may have to invest in a vat of pure alcohol to cure it in.

SubGuy

New User
Zach

Looks like persimmon, I've cut quite a few small ones. I've had trouble with the bugs too. I cut up a nice 8 - 10 inch tree for mallets and bugs got all in it, I even sealed the ends but it didn't help.

Next time I'm going to strip the bark, seal the ends and seal it in a bag with something to kill the bugs.

When it's fresh it cuts like butter, but it splits pretty bad.

I may have to invest in a vat of pure alcohol to cure it in.

:eek:ccasion1One might think to invest in a still and never run out!:rotflm:

DaveO

New User
DaveO

It does look like Persimmon to me, but the description of the wood color doesn't jive as much. Persimmon wood is very creamy colored with a small dark black heart. The bark also looks like Dogwood, although the trunk diameter is a bit large and tall for Dogwood in general. Dogwood wood is more orange/yellow in color. Get me a twig so I can see the buds and branching orientation and then I could key it out easily.

Dave:)

Dragon

New User
David

It does look like Persimmon to me, but the description of the wood color doesn't jive as much. Persimmon wood is very creamy colored with a small dark black heart. The bark also looks like Dogwood, although the trunk diameter is a bit large and tall for Dogwood in general. Dogwood wood is more orange/yellow in color. Get me a twig so I can see the buds and branching orientation and then I could key it out easily.

"Get me a twig", the man says.:eusa_doh: Uh huh, he don't know this momma ain't got no limbs below about 40 ft. does he?:eek: I'm hoping to put 'er on the ground this coming weekend, weather permitting. The one like it that I cut down last year had some black streaking in it, and I'm talking black too, not dark areas or what might look like bug damage. The wood was pretty yellow though I don't recall any orange tint. It definitely ain't a Dogwood and I didn't see any fruit laying around indicating a Persimmon but there are a lot of critters like 'coons, 'possums, and some right big deer too. This one is situated right on a little creek bank and may have some burl on the water side; I haven't gone sli-slidin' down in there just yet to see fer sure. The big Maple beside it does have what appears to be a nice bit of burl at it's base and I might just have to do some "pruning" on that baby.:cool:

timf67

New User
Tim

I wouldn't go by fruit as an indicator or persimmon. I have a male persimmon in my yard and, you guessed it, it never fruits. My neighbor has a female and reaps the benefits of the male in my yard. :BangHead:

JohnW

New User
John

Bark looks most like dogwood...but size is too large so it's probably either persimmon or black tupelo (sourgum)

Dragon

New User
David

Bark looks most like dogwood...but size is too large so it's probably either persimmon or black tupelo (sourgum)

Yeah it's way to big for a Dogwood. You may be on to something with the Black Tupelo though.:eusa_thin
I'm going to try to get it down this coming weekend and I'll get some pics of the wood. Here's a pic of a chunk of the one I cut last year. The color kinda faded out of it but the wood after drying is quite hard, like a brick.
SANY0403.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Nyssa sylvatica came to mind too, but the bark isn't a close resemblance. More strips than cubes
wnysy--brlarge10987.JPG

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

"Get me a twig", the man says.:eusa_doh: Uh huh, he don't know this momma ain't got no limbs below about 40 ft. does he?:eek: I'm hoping to put 'er on the ground this coming weekend, weather permitting. The one like it that I cut down last year had some black streaking in it, and I'm talking black too, not dark areas or what might look like bug damage. The wood was pretty yellow though I don't recall any orange tint. It definitely ain't a Dogwood and I didn't see any fruit laying around indicating a Persimmon but there are a lot of critters like 'coons, 'possums, and some right big deer too. This one is situated right on a little creek bank and may have some burl on the water side; I haven't gone sli-slidin' down in there just yet to see fer sure. The big Maple beside it does have what appears to be a nice bit of burl at it's base and I might just have to do some "pruning" on that baby.:cool:

Why you gonna cut it down? is there something wrong with it?

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User

It is persimmon. We have dozens of them around here (all small). Wood color is a little brighter when the wood is green and freshly split.

Dragon

New User
David
Hey DaveO! Here's as good as I can get ya right now with the "twig pics" you were asking about......
SANY00071.JPG

SANY0008.JPG

Like I said, the lowest limb is an easy 35ft. up from ground level.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
wow... I wouln/t mind a few bowl blanks from the top o dat thang!:gar-Bi looks interestin.:thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors