Trestle DIning Room table Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Well this weekend the table was set into it's new surroundings.
I started off with several LARGE Walnut planks, courtesy of some horsing trading with good ole Dan Owen.
These pieces were air dried then spent about 1 year inside the shop.
In their original shape they were over 20" wide by 66" in length, by 1 1/8" thick. ( I still have 4 more, hehehe)
I had started out use Norm's plans for trestle table design, but ended up modifying it as I went.(not real happy with his plans, but that's another story).
Kind of scary, when using such larger solid pieces. You don't want to mess up.:cry_smile Believe me there was some nail biting going on at times.
I mean the project isn't that hard, but boy you don't want to screw up something up and destroy such beauty.
I got very conflicting techniques/guidance from folks that I consider my superiors. Ha,ha, I laugh at you that put yourself on pedestals, how dare you make me feel unworthy.:rotflm::embaresse:embaresse:embaresse

You know part of that was in joining of these two large panels. I got into some heated conversations about the use of biscuits. One man got very upset and told me that I would regret it and then tried to use the ole" Norm" doesn't use biscuits, he just uses glue and clamps it".
Argh, which way is best? Cause you only want to do the best for your projects. We all do. Nobody wants to build someting and then see it fail.

Your own head is allot of times your own worst enemy.
So I would just bite the bullet and charge on.
I have gotten allot of compliments, and I really appreciate them. I love to hear critiques and design questions. It gets the brain working.

So here it is, finally in the house.

As you can see, I still need to build new chairs. Which will be another first for me. I have never built a single chair in my life other than out door Adirondack chairs.
Sure looks better than the one we are replacing, uh???

I got some walnut form Saw4u, via JimmyC and Geoff, that I will be using for the chairs. But it is wet so I may have to wait a year.

But wait I do Have 2 6"x6"x8' in the attic that is dry. I wonder if there is enough lumber in them to make 6 chairs??

Anyone know??

PChristy

New User
Phillip
John great looking table:icon_thum Sorry I can't help you on the chair question but I am sure there will be someone that will jump in there with the answer - what are you going to do with your old table?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Beautiful Mac! Absolutely Beautiful!!

I do believe I've gotta so my wife this, more ammunition to buy some BW for our bed room set!

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
WOW!!!. Don't be surprised it you start getting requests for orders. And don't hesitate to modify any plans you get to suit your own desires.
Just one question. What is the finishing sequence used for the table???
Thanks in advance.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Obviously you made the right decisions on this table. Very well done and beautiful!!!

tv

skeeter

New User
Charles
Great looking table. Glad you didn't listen to your "superiors" cause I doubt they could have done any better. Awesome job!

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Great Job on the table it looks like it is going to look great in there especially once you get the chairs built.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow. That is a beautiful table. Elegant and clean lines, no better way to let the wood speak for itself. Love the wedged tenons.

So - did you or did you not use biscuits?

rick7938

New User
Rick
John, that is just beautiful. Did you use a jointer and planer to dimension the boards or did you use a wide belt sander? Did you finally decide to use biscuits or just glue?

The book-matched grain looks great. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Rick

Shayne

New User
Shayne
Simply stunning! Great job! I hope to one day tackle a similar project. I really look forward to hearing about the chairs as that is the main thing holding me back from seriously pursuing a similar project.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Beautiful job, Mac. You really did those big slabs justice! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Go

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Mac, that's a beautiful piece. Great work.

You'll do fine on the chairs Just use the same "logic" as on the table!

:wsmile:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
and a fine lookin table it is!:icon_thum sorry to drool all over ur pics man!:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS