The Trio Nearly Complete (Work Bench Saga Final Chapter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well literally two weeks all three benches are complete. To recap I decided to construct these benches on 3/4. Designed them on 3/5, and started construction/picked up wood on 3/6. Well it is 3/22 and they stand complete. After many long days and late nights and base help from Insomniac.

benchtrio.jpg

A detail pic of bench number 2..... Walnut and Curly oak with Blackwood plugs with oak base.
walnutcurlyoak.jpg

A detail pic of bench 3.... with Walnut, quartersawn white oak for the back, pink ivory for the plugs, and oak for the base.

walnutqsoakpinkivorybench.jpg

All that I have left is to mount the patternmakers vises to the other two benches. I've already done the figuring on the first one so the other two should go on relatively easily. :roll:

Why the patternmakers....

Can your vise do this.....
pmvisevertical.jpg

Or this.....

pmvisehorizhoriz.jpg

Or how about this....

pmviseverthoriz.jpg

I don't think additional words are required.:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for viewing.

John

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
They are outrageously gorgeous, John!!!! :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

I would be proud to just have the opportunity to work at them. My wife was just lookin' over my shoulder at the pics. Her comment? They are so beautiful....... why would he put them in a woodshop? They may get all banged up! See...even the LOML has an appreciation for excellent work!

Again, thanks for showing us all of the pics...from start to finish. I can honestly appreciate all of the long hours it took to completion. (By the way. That vise mount is something else again! Talk about flexibility!!)

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
John (and Insom.) those are exquisite benches. Your students are gonna have a hard road living up to the quality of the benches they are working on. I didn't see the Penguin:-? , in addition to the awesome workmanship, beautiful and artistic choices of wood, the Penguin adds that bit of style and unique personalization to those benches that sets them above all others. Great job, one to be very proud of :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
They already have a coat of Seal-A-Cell. It it is primarily an oil finish with a little urethane. Gives some protection without surface build which is what you want for a bench. It can be sanded and repaired with just a wipe. The tops will get a second coat of Seal-A-Cell tomorrow after the vise install. Can't wait to get all three mounted up.

The penguins are in the back as Monty originally planned. In my drawings I had the base the other way, but decided this orientation would be better. Don't worry Dave, they are still there on the back rail as intended by Insomniac.

BTW, here is a detail pic of the tray.

benchtraydetail.jpg

Thanks,

John

cskipper

Cathy
The benches look terrific! Your attention to detail and craftsmanship is definitely evident. One little questions, did you banish the penguins?

T

toolferone

I can't wait to slip with a chisel next weekend and ding up the top.:mrgreen: Just kidding, they look great and can't wait to see/use them at the plane making class.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Most excellent John and Insom :icon_thum

I saw them first on Woodnet during the Bandwidth Boondoogle and they look just as good there :mrgreen:

Enviously,
Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hmmm??? :eusa_thin :eusa_thin :eusa_thin could those fine benches have to do with the bandwidth overload. I am sure that evey WN member wanted to see such nice benches..and in trio :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

woodguy1975

New User
John
DaveO said:
Hmmm??? :eusa_thin :eusa_thin :eusa_thin could those fine benches have to do with the bandwidth overload. I am sure that evey WN member wanted to see such nice benches..and in trio :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL, that is why I hosted it off my own site. :)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
woodguy1975 said:
LOL, that is why I hosted it off my own site. :)

Good, I was worried that a bunch of mine and yours could've caused the problem. Must've just been mine, except I wouldn't expect so many people to view my stuff :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :lol: :lol: :lol:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
woodguy1975 said:
They are on the back side. The top stretcher. LOL

I kind of feel guilty putting them in the back LOL.

John

John, Monty,..........Great job on the benches guys.:icon_thum John when you do your PBS woodworking show debut don't forget to get Monty a cameo appearance. As for the penguins on the back stretcher...........just have Monty carve a couple more on the front side.:lol:

D L

Last edited:

woodguy1975

New User
John
D L Ames said:
John, Monty,..........Great job on the benches guys.:icon_thum John when you do your PBS woodworking show debut don't forget to get Monty a cameo appearance. As for the penguins on the back stretcher...........just have Monty carve a couple more on the front side.:lol:

D L

Hmmmmmm. I'm running out of JSR Woodworking medalions to cover those things up. :eyeslam: :rolf: Maybe he could chip carve my No6 plane insignia on the fronts. :slap:

The benches are ready for use. :icon_thum They will be well broken in on Saturday. Gotta get the wood faces bandsawn out and installed tomorrow. Oh yeah, gotta get my own chair going. LOL

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors