Show me your chisel racks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

New User
jay
Mine is very similar to Eric's. Two boards face joined after cutting angled dados in the foreground board. :wsmile:

The handles are angled out from the rack so that I don't smack my knuckles every time I reach for a chisel. :icon_chee

Sully :tinysmile_tongue_t:

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Earl, seems you worked the hardest on your design, love the idea, after all it does keep them sharp. I will attemt to attach two pics of my cabinet. You will see that it houses many things and the chisels don't look very important, just hanging out anywhere. I should give them more respect. As you can see it was once a massage table. If I fail to present the pics with this post someone please pull them from my gallery. They will be in the gallery in about ten minutes. thanks

cabinet21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
If I fail to present the pics with this post someone please pull them from my gallery. They will be in the gallery in about ten minutes. thanks

A very practical solution, Lorraine!!!:wsmile::wsmile: (Now if I could only find the wall space for something like this!!!:icon_scra)

Wayne

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
The top pic is the dust system I built after the parts were brought to me by way of the woodworker's pony express. Thanks guys. Also see my part-time helping sleeping in the lower left corner.
Wayne, I would like to move the cabinet. It was one of the first items to come into the shop, as you can see the tables get in the way, I am looking for a place to move it.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Earl, looks loike you got a little room left in the middle there to hollow out a spot to set a 'beverage' can in to keep it cold! Multi tasking.:eusa_danc

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Well, to be honest, my good chisels are in rolls stored in tool boxes. Here are the Marples blues:
IMAG0045.jpg

The Japanese set is stored the same way. I keep some beaters out above the work table:

IMAG0046.jpg

The mortice chisels I made are stored a little higher:

IMAG0047.jpg

And a few #60 butt chisels round out the group

IMAG0048.jpg

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
HMMMMM!!! Lot's of chisels there, anybody want to make a count of how many they have and post it here? After all DaveO may need to store more than just a few and would want to consult with those who may have more than 25 or 50 or 100. :rotflm:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
No,:no: I will not :eusa_naugand you can't make me.:slap:.

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:. Gotcha.
Mine is a board with slots cut into it with another board acting as outside feet.
It's really crude. Not worth taking a picture of.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
HMMMMM!!! Lot's of chisels there, anybody want to make a count of how many they have and post it here? After all DaveO may need to store more than just a few and would want to consult with those who may have more than 25 or 50 or 100. :rotflm:

If you know how many you have, then you have a set of tools. If you can't (or won't) possibly count them all, then it is a COLLECTION!:eek:ccasion1

sapwood

New User
Roger
Here's mine! Holds 10-12 chisels :gar-Bi
And yeah, that's my new Work Sharp :icon_thum

chiselrack1.jpg

Roger

4yanks

New User
Willie
Here's mine. I know its wall mounted, but its all I have. Hope it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Thanks Dave for starting this post. It has put a fire under me. My wall cabinet will be coming off the wall within the week where it will find a new home and I also plan to redo the inside. It was my brother's invention, it needs a woman's touch.:notworthy:I also plan to read up on planes so the ones in the box can come out and be used.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You're very welcome. It's killing me, UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays to me. My chisels are in Raleigh but I won't have them until tomorrow. I was all set to make a nice rack for them this weekend. But it's best that I wait until I have them so I can size it right. Stay tuned to next weekend to see what I come up with. I have got a lot of good ideas from this thread and other research.

Dave:)

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Chisels are one of my favorite handtools. Just keep adding them. Got 3 Witherby Warranted chisels just this weekend. I came up with a simple rack that could easily be made into a bench rack stand or add a cleat to easily remove from the wall to the bench when needed. As I add chisels, I just make more. Picked up one of the Gerstner International Chests real cheap a couple of weeks ago. Was thinking of making some small inserts in the drawers to keep the chisels from rolling around. Have Stanley 750's, Two Cherries, Witherby , Sorby and a few other brands. Just can't seem to pass them up! Some I turn new handles and clean up the chisel, some are new. Have 3 NOS Greenlees that I have found in the last couple months. Looking for a few nice Swan's now. An addiction, I tell you!

And then there is the common chisel roll available a lot of places and easy to store or take to the bench.

DavidF

New User
David
I count about 6 Marples blue chip which I have had for about 25 years and have just bought a corner chisel (not the smack with a a hammer type), something I have been after for a while. Next one is likely to be a long pairing chisel.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I know we are not voting for the best idea but I for one think Willie has the best idea. I do however have a question. Willie how do you keep them so clean and dust free? I battle weekly to keep the dust down even with my dust systems. I like your design Willie.

I will however be changing my box and redesigning the inside to fit a female hand.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Here is my current chisel rack. Now if I could just finish the next 9 mortises I could put it in deep storage and be very very happy.

mortise_chisle.jpg

Jerome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS