Show me your chisel racks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ideally bench top instead of wall mounted (hanging stuff on CMU walls is no fun). The recent issue of FWW reviewed beveled bench chisels and rated a brand from Highlandwoodworking one of the best values. At $5-6 a chisel, and a very good rating I couldn't resist but to buy a set of 8 (pre-gloat). Now my current scrap wood chisel rack is undersized. Plus it's a poor design and I am looking for ideas to house my new chisel collection.
TIA,
Dave:)

Outa Square

New User
Al
no picture of my rack but is the brand you refering to Narex? i was wondering about those. I can't wait to here what you think about them.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Al, they are the Narex, and I will post my review as soon as they arrive and I have the chance to [STRIKE]cut myself[/STRIKE] use them. The price was too good to pass up, and FWW's review of them was quite good. 8 good quality chisels for under $60 is hard to pass up. My only concern is that they are metric sized. But my current chisel set (sized in fractional inches) doesn't always fit well into the same sized recess cut with other means, causing me to use a smaller width chisel anyways.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I read somewhere that all new chisels are made in metric sizes, only the ones shipped to America are marked in the nearest fractional equivalent. Don't remember where I read it and don't know how long that practice has been in effect.

Anybody have more info on that?

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Great timing!!

I was about to start a thread asking about a good, medium quality, chisel.

Look forward to your review.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Those rated about the same as the ones I am getting but at almost 3x the price :tongue11:, but mine aren't coming with a nice box :cry_smile

I got mine on sale at around $65~$70.:eusa_danc And I got the box:gar-Bi

Sounds like you go a great deal!

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I just got that issue of FWW in the mail. Happily, they rated my cheapy Footprint chisels pretty well (on sale on Amazon in a set of 4 for $33).

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Are we all ashamed of the box on the wall? I will take a pic of mine tomorrow but I will need help with the posting of the pics. My cabinet on the wall was a massage table before my brother turned to woodworking, I now have his collection. Someone help me tomorrow when you see the post without a pic. Lorraine:rotflm:

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Ok you asked for it, I brought it in the house and took a picture.
Just so you'll know not everyone has the fancy stuff, but it keeps them sharp :rotflm:

chisel_rack2.jpg

thrytis

New User
Eric
I just finished mine. I thought it was as simple as it got, until i saw Earl's. :rotflm: Just a few dadoes and a couple of screws, and i can take it apart and add more dadoes if i get more chisels in the future. I think PeteM has a similar one except a couple of feet attached to the side so it'll stand on his bench instead of hang on the wall.

If you want to get fancy, one way to do a bench chisel rack would be to make it like a kitchen knife block.

chiselrack.jpg

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
I store mine in a little chest my father made in 1950. It is of pine and plywood and is doing the job, but I have started a new one of hardwoods. Maybe I'll finish it some day. Have to rebuild my shop first. Pictures in my gallery.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Just so you'll know not everyone has the fancy stuff, but it keeps them sharp :rotflm:

chisel_rack2.jpg

Earl,
You amaze me. Simplicity must be your middle name, because you always seem to simplify problems, and creat nice work in such simple surroundings:eusa_clap.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

chisel_rack2.jpg

hey earl! you got plans fer that?:rotflm: I LIKE IT...... functional and best of all.....CHEEP!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors