Question: Double Sided Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianGeib

New User
Brian
What brand/type of double-sided tape do you folks use? The stuff that I have isn't wide enough nor sticky enough to secure masonite to plywood. Also, where do you normally get the tape that you use?

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
I have found two general types, a thin, flat plastic tape (crap), and a slightly thicker woven fiber tape (the good stuff). It's been while since I picked any up, so I don't know about brand, but it's whatever the BORG had.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Carpet tape that claims to be indoor/outdoor usually does the trick, It is generally the woven stuff. If I need a bunch to use right away, I would get it at a discount place. I haven't had trouble with the cheap carpet tape not sticking, but its shelf life is shorter before its starts sticking to its own backer so well it is virtually unusable.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
As noted, there are two types - the cheap, thin stuff that does have much hold, and the good stuff. I got a roll at Lowe's. It is black and looks like duct tape, but that stuff really holds.
Jim in Mayberry

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
To improve sticking, I clamp the pieces together for a minute or two, or strike the top one with a dead blow hammer. Forcing the boards together makes the tape bond to them better. Then I usually have trouble getting them back apart.

Charley

BrianGeib

New User
Brian
Do you guys use the same tape for working with jigs (ie routing zero clearance inserts, using the original insert as the template) ?

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Just curious and I might be having one of those "blonde moments" my other half keeps accusing me of, but for what application are you wanting to stick Masonite to Plywood? Just wondering if there might be a better solution than the DS Tape.

David

BrianGeib

New User
Brian
Just curious and I might be having one of those "blonde moments" my other half keeps accusing me of, but for what application are you wanting to stick Masonite to Plywood? Just wondering if there might be a better solution than the DS Tape.

David

I am using the masonite as a top for a workbench. I want to be able to replace after it gets too nicked up. I would normally go with contact cement, but I don't want it to be permanent.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Great idea. My Dad had one like that held together with brads and I always thought that the brads were not the smartest move in an area where I might mess up a chisel or plane on them. I would go with carpet tape in this case, though I don't know any particular brand that might stand out. Double sided, stands up over time and not likely to fail you. When it's time to take it off, you will find it comes up pretty easily with a chisel.

One thing to consider (found this out on an unrelated project).... you probably only need the tape around the outer edges and maybe a couple strips in the middle. This leaves the possibility that the surface will become uneven over time because of an uneven base. If I had my project to do over again, I would place some sheets of thin cardboard in between the taped areas to allow for a level base below the surface.

Hope that helps.

David

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The Duck brand carpet tape at Lowes works well for jigs, etc., and I would thinkk it would work well for this purpose. I have not tried it on treated masonite, tho. It holds up quite a while even in higher humidity, and I have some over a year old that still works fine. I find it in the carpet area. It usually isn't by the rest of the tapes. May want to use a J-roller or tap on the top using a block of wood to spread the impact of a hammer or mallet, and make sure you clean off any dust or loose fibers first.

Go

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dusty Sawyer Re: Question: Double Sided Tape
Great idea. My Dad had one like that held together with brads and I always thought that the brads were not the smartest move in an area where I might mess up a chisel or plane on them. I would go with carpet tape in this case, though I don't know any particular brand that might stand out. Double sided, stands up over time and not likely to fail you. When it's time to take it off, you will find it comes up pretty easily with a chisel.

One thing to consider (found this out on an unrelated project).... you probably only need the tape around the outer edges and maybe a couple strips in the middle. This leaves the possibility that the surface will become uneven over time because of an uneven base. If I had my project to do over again, I would place some sheets of thin cardboard in between the taped areas to allow for a level base below the surface.

If you're using this as a constant adhesion method, would it be as effective to rout some dadoes the thickness of the tape into the sub top in strategic locations?

gator

George
Corporate Member

David

Masonite to ply or to hardwood? You make templates out of masonite and then tape it to the workpiece to follow with a router (can also be used with bandsaw or scroll saw or drum sander).

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS