price for air dried YP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman

New User
barry
hey anybody know what a reasonable bf price for rough cut 8/4 yellow pine been air drying for about 10+ years i believe it is flat sawed
Barry

J

jeff...

Barry, I would tend to agree with Kyle's assessment. I recall seeing some CLEAR (no knots) SYP going for $2.00 a BF. But the lions share of no 1 common I've seen goes for around .75 ~1.00 a BF kiln dried. Wider stuff (over 10") a little more.

I've noticed around here they clear cut and re-plant in fast growing long-leaf pine which will mature to harvest size in appox 40 years. Yet it's one of the cheapest lumber per BF there is. I just don't understand that way of thinking :eusa_thin. I guess I just don't know enough about forestry management of renewable resources to understand the logic.

Thanks

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
hey anybody know what a reasonable bf price for rough cut 8/4 yellow pine been air drying for about 10+ years i believe it is flat sawed
Barry

Barry,

If you are interested in buying this lumber, I would suggest you take a good look at it for powder post beetle damage. If you are not familiar with the damage, google it and you should find a pic of the damage caused by the beetles. If it is infected, I wouldn't touch it because it will be useless. I know because I have built many a piece out of SYP from old tobacco barns and have thrown away many a board foot due to this problem.

Mike

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
i bought some 8' 2x8 #2 yellow pine from Goldsboro Builders supply last month. It cost $3.93 per board. Thats 39 cents a bf nominal, or if you take the actual measurements (7+ inch wide by 1 1/2" thick) 56 cents bf. Thats milled on all four sides and kiln dried.

JMTCW
Go

J

jeff...

thats why your local sawyer can be a good friend :) 3.93 for pine ..argggh

Wow $3.93 a BF for SYP :roll: who's getting rich here? It sure aint the land owner, the logger, the saywer or the kiln operator is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS