price for air dried YP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman

New User
barry
hey anybody know what a reasonable bf price for rough cut 8/4 yellow pine been air drying for about 10+ years i believe it is flat sawed
Barry

J

jeff...

Barry, I would tend to agree with Kyle's assessment. I recall seeing some CLEAR (no knots) SYP going for $2.00 a BF. But the lions share of no 1 common I've seen goes for around .75 ~1.00 a BF kiln dried. Wider stuff (over 10") a little more.

I've noticed around here they clear cut and re-plant in fast growing long-leaf pine which will mature to harvest size in appox 40 years. Yet it's one of the cheapest lumber per BF there is. I just don't understand that way of thinking :eusa_thin. I guess I just don't know enough about forestry management of renewable resources to understand the logic.

Thanks

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
hey anybody know what a reasonable bf price for rough cut 8/4 yellow pine been air drying for about 10+ years i believe it is flat sawed
Barry

Barry,

If you are interested in buying this lumber, I would suggest you take a good look at it for powder post beetle damage. If you are not familiar with the damage, google it and you should find a pic of the damage caused by the beetles. If it is infected, I wouldn't touch it because it will be useless. I know because I have built many a piece out of SYP from old tobacco barns and have thrown away many a board foot due to this problem.

Mike

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
i bought some 8' 2x8 #2 yellow pine from Goldsboro Builders supply last month. It cost $3.93 per board. Thats 39 cents a bf nominal, or if you take the actual measurements (7+ inch wide by 1 1/2" thick) 56 cents bf. Thats milled on all four sides and kiln dried.

JMTCW
Go

J

jeff...

thats why your local sawyer can be a good friend :) 3.93 for pine ..argggh

Wow $3.93 a BF for SYP :roll: who's getting rich here? It sure aint the land owner, the logger, the saywer or the kiln operator is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors