Opinions on Kreg pocket hole jigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The quest to spend the rest of my B-day money is on. I have thought about a new TS blade, more clamps and other things. But I have heard great things about pocket hole jointery, and that is something that I don't have a jig for. I have $100 to spend at Amazon and have been looking at the Kreg K3 standard jig.

B0009VD04I.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It doesn't look like much, is it all it is cracked up to be???

Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I would scratch up the extra $49 and get the Kreg Master jig. With the CFO's permission, that will be my next purchase!

Wilmingtonian

New User
David
DaveO,

I have the smaller $60 version. I bought it when I was making cabinets for a renovation house. It is worth every penny IMHO. I am still a newbie, especially in joinery, but Kreg makes joints so easy a monkey could do it. I give it two thumbs up!:icon_thum :icon_thum

David

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I have the master kit bro, not the new one with dust collection (you should get that one). It has paid for itslelf many many times over. Cabinet frames,,loose shelves,,just about anything that deals with woodworking can be done with it. Do I use it every day? nope! But when I have a client that wants a slat bed and wants to pay only a certain amount of money I can now fufill that desire by making it faster with this system. hope I have helped, be blessed bro.

Michael

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have the K2000 set, DaveO. It has been great! I think that I paid around $120 for it last year and within about a month Kreg came out with the K3 (w/dust collection) for the same price. Oh well, I always seem to miss it!:BangHead:

I don't use it everyday, but it is slick and very fast. To get maximum benefit from the jig, I have found that I must use their screws as well.

Wayne

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
To get maximum benefit from the jig, I have found that I must use their screws as well.

That's interesting. Becuase my experience with their washer head screws was just the opposite. When using it with cheaper ply, they seemed to strip very easily. At first I thought it was technique, but I switched to Mcfeely's and have no problems at all

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have never had the issue with "stripout", Steve. I just couldn't find a source for the Robertson headed screw w/the washer in coarse and fine threads? I'll have to check out McFeely screw's. Probably cheaper than Kreg, too.

Wayne

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The Kreg system is nice, but I would put in the extra dollars and get the upgraded system (Master?).

Overall I'd give the pocket hole jig a
  • 5 star in ease of use :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum
  • 4 star in quality :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum
  • 2 star in enjoyment using :icon_thum:icon_thum
Why the 2 star rating? I used pocket holes to build the deck table (see my photo album) from one of Kreg's plans. It was nice for a newbie, but by the time I made my 100th pocket hole the fun was all gone. I don't think I've used it since in over a year because it was just that boring. :eusa_booh

In the end though, I'm glad to have it in my toolbox.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dave, I would hold out for a sale and get the complete kit. I have the earlier version (w/o DC) and have used all three of the jigs that come with it. Like the others, I don't use it every day but when I need it I am glad I have it. It is a real time saver.

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
A definite must in the tool aresenal:icon_thum :icon_thum (two thumbs up). You will be amazed at all you can do with it. It's not for that heirloom piece but for other everyday applications, pocket screws are amazing.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Dave,

A while back amazon ran a sale and had the Master Kit for $109. Thats when I jumped on it. If you can go for the Master kit it would probably be worth it, but if not the other kit is good as well.

William Bender

New User
William Bender
Once our shop switched to the kreg pocket scew system we never looked back. As far as which system you should get I have seen people use the prefabbed built up units and those with just the single piece and single bit. It really depends on what you are doing. If you are going to be doing many similar runs as in hundereds then the prefab units with the dust collection are well worth the money. If you are doing small jobs just get the smallest package and buy more clamps, you can never have enough clamps or bits for your shaper or router. I can't tell you how many times the simple fact that we had a different profile on doors or mouldings that we were far more marketable to the customers. Also if you are a custom shop you know what runs you do the most, I always found making my own jig was very self gratifying. We also were able to move faster overall just having a clamp and the single 2 hole jig and moving around. So yes kreg pocket hole systems are great, but I never saw, even with the large volume we put out, any reason to get the larger setups, of course all our fabrication was custom.

clowman

Clay Lowman
I have it, and I have liked using mine. I have the smaller version. I'll bring it up to you when I come pick up some wood if you want to handle one.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I wasn't sure I'd like it so I bought the cheapest version available. I WISH I had bought an upgraded version. I don't use pocket screws a whole lot but I must say I NEVER use biscuits anymore! The jig is pretty slick and the learning curve is short. And the joints are good.

Hey, I'll make you a good deal on a Dewalt biscuit joiner!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks for everyone's input in this subject. How much of a difference is there between the old K2000 kit and the new K3 Master kit. I know there is dust collection on the K3, and I think that it has portability not found on the K2000. But I like the side supports of the K2000 for larger pieces (I could make something similar though). How often do you hobbyists use your portable jig??
Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Dave, I have the K2000PP Kreg ProPack w/Rocket (no DC). It has been a lifesaver for a newbie like me! It's very fast and makes assembly easy as pie. My only regret is, I wish I had waited for the dust collection version:BangHead: . The story of my life! No matter which version you choose, I'm sure you will be pleased.
Take care,
Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS