Ok, now's your chance to give Scott Smith a hand

Which day(s) can you come to help

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Steve...I have plans to be fishing all weekend but if my plans change I'll look here for directions from Apex to Scott's place.

Jeff

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
i signed up for all day sunday. got other stuff planned for saterday that has been on the books for a while. will try to bring dozer and maybe his boy along. dont know his plans yet.

fred
That's great, we seem short on sunday and maybe over booked on Saturday. About Dozer, Scott assures me, he has all the Heavy Equipment he needs.:rotflm:Sorry Mike, I couldn't resist, :tongue2:you should have picked another nickname:rotflm:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
That's great, we seem short on sunday and maybe over booked on Saturday. About Dozer, Scott assures me, he has all the Heavy Equipment he needs.:rotflm:Sorry Mike, I couldn't resist, :tongue2:you should have picked another nickname:rotflm:

hey steve .... we need to do some work on your avatar! I keep trying to scroll down so's I can see your inmate number!:rotflm: how bout a smile there old fella!:gar-La;

sapwood

New User
Roger
hey steve .... we need to do some work on your avatar! I keep trying to scroll down so's I can see your inmate number!:rotflm: how bout a smile there old fella!:gar-La;

:rolf: Yeah, what happened to Papa Smurf?????

Oops, back on point. I'm a maybe for Sunday :dontknow:
I'm willing and somewhat able . . . but family event may overrule. I could definitely assist during the week though.

Roger

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hi everybody.

Steve - thanks much for all your assistance.

The address is: 6588 Beaver Creek Road, New Hill, NC 27562. If you'd like my phone number (in case you get lost) send me a PM and I'll respond with it.

DIRECTIONS FROM RALEIGH

New Hill is about half-way in between Apex and Sanford off of US1. From the intersection of the Beltline and US1 in the Raleigh metropolitan area, go SW on US1 towards Sanford. You will stay on US1 approximately 15 - 18 miles.

Exit at the "New Hill Holoman Road" exit (also for Jordan Lake). At the end of the exit ramp turn right onto New Hill Holoman Road. Proceed about a mile, cross over some railroad tracks, and you will come up to a stop sign with some old country stores on three corners. This is Old US1. Turn LEFT (SW) onto Old 1, and proceed approximately 2.3 miles to the Bonsal Community (basically a spot in the road). In Bonsal, turn RIGHT onto Daisy Lane. Note - you are turning about 100 yards before two railroad overpasses cross over US1. Proceed about 1/4 mile down Daisy lane, and you will dead end onto Beaver Creek Road. (NOTE: My farm is now right in front of you). Turn RIGHT onto Beaver Creek Road, and proceed approximatly 400'. Turn LEFT into my driveway. There is a four rail cedar fence on each side of the driveway.

DIRECTIONS FROM PITTSBORO:

Coming from Pittsboro, travel east on Highway 64, crossing over Jordan Lake. On the east side of the lake you will come to a stop light in Wilsonville. There are convience stores/gas stations on each side of 64 at this stoplight. Turn RIGHT (South) at the light, onto Beaver Creek Road. NOTE - if you turned left, the road is called Fearrington). Proceed 6.5 miles south on Beaver Creek Road, and my farm is on the RIGHT. When you pass Kadir Womble Road on the right, slow down - my driveway is only 600 feet further down the road.

DIRECTIONS FROM SANFORD:

Proceed NE on New US 1 towards Raleigh. After crossing the Deep River and passing the Moncure exits, take the "Old US1 Exit". (I think that it's Exit 84) This is the same exit as for Triangle Brick and is shortly after the Pea Ridge Road exit).

At the end of the exit ramp, turn LEFT onto Old US1. Proceed approximately 1.5 miles, and turn LEFT onto Beaver Creek Road. Note: THis is immediately prior to some railroad overpasses that cross over Old 1). After turning onto Beaver Creek Road, proceed approximately 1/3 mile, and turn into my driveway to the LEFT. 6588 is marked on the fence end posts on both sides of the driveway entrance.

I sincerely appreciate all of the offers of assistance. As you can imagine, it's been a tough few days...

Several folks asked about helping out during the week. For anybody that wants to work in the evenings on Thursday or Friday, please send me a PM and we can go from there.

Thanks much!

Scott

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Why don't we shoot for an 8 - 6 each day. Show up when you can if 8 is too early (I know some folks have a ways to travel).

We'll have food brought in for lunch, and plenty of water and soft drinks.

Thx.

Scott

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Why don't we shoot for an 8 - 6 each day. Show up when you can if 8 is too early (I know some folks have a ways to travel).

We'll have food brought in for lunch, and plenty of water and soft drinks.

Thx.

Scott

see ya sunday. dozer said he would like to come also. :icon_thum we may need the muscle!:gar-La; I dont know about his boy but if he comes we may hafta bring a buffe'! spelling?:rotflm: do we need to bring any tools?

fred

fred

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Please put me down as a maybe, for Sunday!!!:BangHead: I am nursing one of those July NC head colds and feel like crap today. Hopefully by Sunday I will be back to my 61 YO prime and can come by and help.:wsmile:

Wouldn't have been much good today! :nah::no: (Didn't even get out to make any sawdust yet this week!)

Hope to see you all Sunday!

Wayne

Regrettably, I am stuck at an install in Arkansas for my day job and won't be home in time to help this weekend. I'll be there in spirit though. I will definitely help out on the next outing to Scott's shop.

All of us probably have duplicates of some things (can't find it, buy a new one, find the old one, etc.). No insurance company gives 100% replacement. If Scott will post what he needs that insurance does not cover, I'll bet we could all chip in a pretty good list of tools. Just a thought.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hi All.

Re what to bring, long sleeve shirts, gloves suitable for working through charcoal and ash (dish washing?), safety glasses, hard hat and a dust mask / respirator come to mind. Rakes and thin pitchforks also may help. An extra chainsaw or two wouldn't hurt either

I'm planning to pick up a bunch of ziploc bags, masking tape, and sharpie's for labeling the remains. Any other suggestions?

Thx.

Scott

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Any other suggestions?
I've never processed a fire site, but have sifted through a site where a roof had collapsed. Talk about a mess after it rained!

I suggest people bring some brushes - medium sized paint brushes, stiff nylon brushes, dust pan brushes etc. It will be very hard to determine whether something needs to be collected or if it's trash when it's covered in ashes. A brush could be very helpful. A small sling bag (like a canvas grocery bag) for collecting items can also be useful, to avoid walking back and forth every time you find half a chisel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors