Ok, now's your chance to give Scott Smith a hand

Which day(s) can you come to help

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
So sorry to hear about everything Scott. I'll be there on Sunday afternoon. (To work....not take pictures).

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
All - many, many thanks for volunteering to help. Today we started the clean-up activities in earnest (insurance investigators had requested that we wait until today). Two large construction dumpsters were delivered today, and we removed the tailgate from one of my dump trucks to use for hauling burnable material.

As of this evening about 2/3 of the upper floor has been removed (it was caved in on all of the equipment downstairs), and we succeeded in removing all of the debris from the upstairs floor.

We also set up several tables and brought in some hay trailers for laying out tools, etc. The replacement electronic lock arrived for the safe, but unfortunately there is an electronic problem inside the safe so I will have to drill out the locking mechanism. First though, I need to obtain a replacement safe because once I drill out the old one, there is no way to lock it! Thus, tomorrow late morning I'll be safe shopping...

The track hoe arrives mid morning tomorrow as well, and that should aid greatly in the wall removal. Tomorrow afternoon I will start arranging, categorizing, photographing and packaging up the items recovered thus far; it's pretty obvious that we'll need to clean off the tables multiple times in order to have room for everything.

Tonight Dick Cunningham and his wife dropped by to commensurate about the loss. It was great seeing them again; the last time that I saw Dick was when we met at George's place to help unload his new jointer.

The day ended on a very sad note... one of my closest friends had loaned me a custom saddle that he had made back in the early 70's in Texas. It was a very ornate saddle, and it meant a lot to me. I haven't ridden much in the last year or so, so both Laureen and I had forgotten that it was in the shop, until we dug it out tonight...

I've done a fairly decent job of managing my emotions though the loss, as most of the tools and equipment are just that - replaceable items. It's not a fun thing to go through, but in the end things will be ok. But losing the saddle is different; this is truly something that is not replaceable and it also represents something that was special to one of my closest friends, and thus to me. We'll muddle through, but it has been a real awakening to realize just how devastating that fire can be.

That's about it for now - more tomorrow.

Scott

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Scott, I can't even imagine what you're going through. I'd be heartbroken if I lost my shop, and I don't even have all that many tools or anything really special. But tools are personal. Sometimes there is quite a history in the acquisition as well. Throw in something like a custom saddle which is truly irreplaceable, and ugh - it's break out the Scotch time. That or break out the Kleenex.

I suppose it will help once it's all cleaned up, and the constant reminder is gone, but yeah, I can understand this is really really hard.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ok, I'm on the poll for Sunday afternoon or earlier :icon_thum
Family event foundered, so y'all get to be my family Sunday!
Don't have a hard hat :dontknow:
But I have a hard, shiny head :mrgreen:
Also have rakes, shovels, etc if needed.

Roger

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Roger, thanks for asking re tools and equipment.

For the Volunteers: some things that I could use are boxes (file size and up) for storing the items retrieved from the building (for insurance claim purposes), and shovels (flat works better than pointed) for scooping out debries for sorting and removal.

By the time that it's done, I'll probably need 50 boxes or more. We've got some, but more would be most welcome.

Thanks all.

Scott

GeorgeL

New User
George
Roger, thanks for asking re tools and equipment.

For the Volunteers: some things that I could use are boxes (file size and up) for storing the items retrieved from the building (for insurance claim purposes), and shovels (flat works better than pointed) for scooping out debries for sorting and removal.

By the time that it's done, I'll probably need 50 boxes or more. We've got some, but more would be most welcome.

Thanks all.

Scott

Scott,

I'll bring some boxes. I should be able to manage 20+ in various sizes. They are flattened so I'll bring some packing tape as well. I will aslo bring 3 flat shovels.

George

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Scott,

I want to help but after having chronic bronchitis, pneumonia and ongoing asthma/allergies I think I better play it safe and wait till the dust clears.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm in for sunday morning.

So sorry to hear about the lost seat. While nothing can replace the physical seat, the memory and meaning of the seat will live on.

I'll be coming in from Hillsborough probably around 7:30am, if anyone wants to share a ride.

PM me on the side if you'd like to carpool.

Jim

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mike - I think that you're making a wise decision. We'll be sure to send you and invite when we're ready to rebuild though!

Jim - thanks for the assist Sunday AM!

Scott

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Scott and others,

I am going to have to back out from Sunday PM slot. My wife broke her ankle and sprained her other one. I have to help her to the bathroom cause she can't put any weight on either foot yet.

Please know that I would be there if I could.

Will

T

toolferone

Scott and others,

I am going to have to back out from Sunday PM slot. My wife broke her ankle and sprained her other one. I have to help her to the bathroom cause she can't put any weight on either foot yet.

Will

Will, Family first. I am sorry to hear about your wife :wsad:. I hope she is okay!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Scott and others,

Will

Ouch, Mrs Will!
Nothing more frustrating than lose of independence to do things yourself. . . except the pain. Hope recovery is swift.

See the rest of ya Sunday :mrgreen:

Roger

cskipper

Cathy
Scott and others,

Will

OMG - hope she mends quickly and is not in too much pain!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Weather radar shows it pouring rain just west of New HIil. I hope they made good progress.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Scott and others,

Will

:swoon::swoon::swoon: I can not imagine both feet it was hard enough when I was non weight bearing on my right foot the first time for 16 weeks then the second time 24 weeks :eek: :eusa_pray hoping for a speedy recovery

Steve W

New User
Steve
When it rains, it pours. I got up Friday with a really bad pinched nerve in my neck that seems to be here to stay a while. It looks like I won't make it, either, unless it clears up tomorrow morning, but historically these last a few weeks at a time with me. If I do wake up feeling great tomorrow, I will come but I wanted to warn far enough in advance so anyone who was considering heading over can make plans.
I'm really sorry about this but I'm not very useful when I'm hunched up like Quasimodo...
:kermit: Steve

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
All:

Thanks for a great group of volunteers, we accomplished a great deal today. I'll have photo's later, but suffice to say it was a productive day.

We still have a couple more days of work though, and I sincerely appreciate everybody who has volunteered to come out tomorrow.

Will - I hope that your wife recovers completely and quickly. That's a painful injury.

Steve, good luck with your neck problem. I've been there and know how painful that it can be.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS