Oak display cabinet completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
In the last three days while staining my cabinet I stepped back each time I would come into the shop. I felt the need to pinch myself, I still can't believe I made this piece of funiture. I must however ask my usual favor, would someone move this pic from my gallery and post it here for me. I just can't figure that out. McRabbet maybe you could do the honors, you had so much to do with the 101 lesson in the minature stile and rails. I thank you again. The cabinet is from Woodsmith, I can't say enough about their part in this project, most of the time their instructions are very good and I always learn something new. I had to opt for a change in their stile and rails for the doors however, they had too much waste in wood for their method. The sides are 3/4" plywood from the big store, the shelves were also 3/4" plywood. The remainder of the cabinet is solid red oak. I used hinges from Rockler that are 3/8" inset, they worked great. The knobs were purchased to match the hinges. I was able to find a stain that matched my dining room table and chairs. You may not remember the four drawer oak chest that I started with my brother but I brought that out of the bedroom and placed it in the dining room with this new piece. My husband is very proud of it. Thanks everyone for sharing this project with me. Comments are welcomed. And thanks to whoever moves the pic for me. Lorraine

Pics -

Oak_top.jpg

Oak_bottom_1.jpg

Finished!!!!!

display_cabinet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Lorraine, you should be very proud. That is a wonderful piece. There are many people who would buy something like that...you created it with you own two hands. And I guarantee it's built better than anything that could be bought.
I am very impressed, you have come a long way in your skills and abilities. I might have to start coming to you for advice :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Standing ovation :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Lorraine, that looks great! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap You should definitely be proud, not just for all the technical achievements but for the sheer size of that thing! Red oak, you say? Should be good for a few hundred years.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Oh my goodness, Lorraine; that is one very pretty display cabinet!!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum The finish really does compliment the red oak.

(I looked long and hard at that plan too. Maybe I should give it a whirl. My oldest daughter would really like something like this. All of her furniture in their new home is red oak!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap)

You have really done a wonderful job on this one. I am sure that you will receive lots of complements from any folks that enter your dining room!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Again. Good work and thanks for sharing the wonderful results!:wsmile::wsmile:

Wayne

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
AWESOME ... isn't that how it feels to get a project completed, not to mention one this nice! :icon_thum:icon_chee

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
WOW, Lorraine that is a beautiful piece of fine furniture. You should be proud!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

PChristy

New User
Phillip
:eusa_clap:eusa_clapGreat job Lorraine - It looks great - I love the look of the Red Oak -

M

McRabbet

Lorraine,

Superb display cabinet -- I'm happy that I could help you a little with the challenges of those beautiful doors up top! Creating multiple pane (lites) doors is a significant accomplishment for any woodworker -- you've brought all of your skills in a beautiful piece of furniture that your grandchildren will enjoy one day. Congratulations on a job well-done!.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
WOW!!!! I was lucky to be in the shop and see that under construction. I can't wait to see it up front and personal.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Scott, remember the mistake I showed you, can't see it now. Dave, keep your seat, it will be many years before you can come to me for advice. And Bas and Rob, I sure hope this cabinet and many other pieces that are in the house will be around for 100 plus years. Each piece I make I do with my children and grans in mind. Wayne, now I could give you some advice if you plan to make this for your daughter. There are a few things I would do different the next time around, not to say that you would need my advice. Thanks guys, I am very humbled to be able to place my work along side the fine work I see on this site. My thanks to all for the continued help each and everyone of you give me. Enjoying the ride. Lorraine

J

jeff...

Really nice, you should be very proud.:icon_thum

Earl are you seeing that - NOTHING ROUND DUDE, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING :gar-La;

Sweet Cabinet - looks store bought but only better because it wasn't :thumbs_up

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Very nice job!!! You have every right to be very proud!!!

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Tom Swortzel

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
What a great piece!
Red oak when finished well is so striking. Nicely executed.

(Pssst Jeff, look again. The pulls man, the pulls. That shape is r o u n d :rotflm:
As well camoflaged as they are, they exist. See the way they blend in. Now imagine what might be on display IN the cabinet and the world of round comes to life yet again. See how the natural shape lies to the eye)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lorraine, I better see this piece entered in the calendar contest for sure.

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
Lorraine,

That is a fantastic cabinet, you should be very proud. You did a great job.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Lorraine: Anyone would be proud to have that in their home! Nice work.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS