Next to jump on the turning bandwagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
I just set up the JET lathe that CHIP had listed and now I have the turning bug. What a change from the Smithy to this. No more busted knuckles!
I need advice on turning tools. I have found the tools that I have are only good for sharpening practice. If anyone knows where a there's a deal on a starter set, let me know.
I have the cheapest HF set made and it is soft.......
I don't mind paying for quality...Christmas is coming and I've been good.:)

Ron

Attachments

• Jet.jpg
    Jet.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 138

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Now ............ I have to say that I am very envious/jealous, Ron!!!

Congratulations!

Maybe in the New Year I can join you guys/gals!!!

Have a great time turning all of those great looking pens, XMas ornaments, pepper mills, etc. etc.!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

You have fun now, you hear!!!!!!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've got the "high dollar" HF set..Winsor Designs. They have suited me well for what I've done so far. But I know there are better tools out there, I'm just to cheap to buy them. Sorby and Crown are major players and you can't go wrong with their tools. I have been quite impressed with what I have seen from Pinnacle. Mid-range cost tools that look to be good quality.

web5238big.jpg

I don't recommend getting a set of tools. You will use about 75% of the tools in a set. Identify what you are interested in turning and get the appropriate tools for that turning.
Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
Along the lines of Dave's post, tell us what you want to start turning and we'll suggest which tools you need. Sometimes the basic set of 4 -gouges, skew, parting tool come at a pretty good price and you'll use most for about everything you turn.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Cathy,
I have lots of turning blanks and cut offs that are not sure what they want to be yet.
I have turned a few small pieces on my smithy lathe, but the chuck always got in the way. Now that I have a quieter and smoother unit I'm more inclined to use it. (Sounds like DaveO's situation).
I think after reading all the posts I'll end up buying a small set and adding to it.
Dave, the pinnacle tools look nice, The $10 HF set I have is worthless....
I hope to get time with Nzapp after the holidays to get a better feel of what I need to invest in so I can put my money in the right tools.
Thanks,
Ron

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I will be making my first turnings over the next few days. I know I am infected already :)

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
The bug has bitten again :rolf: Ron I agree with Dave I have tool that came with the set that I do not use. When we get together you can look over what I have and see what fits you. A good 4 or 5 piece set with skew, parting tool scraper and one or two gouges is a good start. Go with Crown or Sorby sets or single pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors