Next Raleigh Lumber Run

Which species / thickness would your consider purchasing

• 5/4 Flat Sawn Black Walnut $4.40

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • 9/4 Flat Sawn Black Walnut $6.10 (could be re-sawn on a band saw into book matched 4/4 after drying)

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • 4/4 Quarter Sawn Red Oak $2.90

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • 8/4 Quarter Sawn Red Oak $4.80

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • 4/4 Quarter Sawn White Oak $2.90

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • 8/4 Quarter Sawn White Oak $4.80

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • 5/4 Quarter Sawn Sycamore $2.90

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • 9/4 Quarter Sawn Sycamore $4.80 (could be re-sawn on a band saw into book matched 4/4 after drying)

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Scott and I have discussed an idea which may be beneficial to everybody. At present, we're planning our next Raleigh KD Lumber run, as previously posted we were considering Oak.

However, Scott has several hundred board feet of KD oak in inventory (mix of 4/4 - 5/4 RO, WO, QS and FS) that he would like to move in order to free up space and also to use the proceeds for on his shop building project. He is willing to sell it for the same price as I as the last run lumber run; $2.00 a BF for FS and 2.90 a BF for QS.

We're looking at another kiln dried lumber run for the Raleigh area folks sometime in the Jan / Feb time frame and would like it if you would respond to poll to help us decide which species / thickness you may be interested in purchasing. Based on the outcome of the poll we'll decide what's most popular and more than likely saw up kiln load full for the next run.

For those of you looking for oak you can purchase Kiln dried directly from Scott. This will allow us to help out Scott, and to make different KD products available for the next lumber run.

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am needing Poplar or soft Maple -4/4 top priority 200 BF+
Walnut or Cherry - 4/4 always nice to have around 50-100 BF

Dave:)

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
interested in some qs sycamore. fred p's desk has raised my interest in it.
come to find out he's less then a mile away. looking forward in seeing the finished product in person. :gar-Bi

lottathought

New User
Michael
I must still be drunk on bird from yesterday.
(Erased it so the crime is gone...heh heh)
I just re-read the the post and realized I can get the Oak from Scott now.
This survey is for wood in Jan-Feb...
For that, I would want an Oak/Walnut mixture.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
I am looking for probably 50 bf of 4/4 QSWO and maybe some 8/4 of the same.

tv

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Jeff, I need some education. Why is a thicker cut cost more/BF than a thinner piece? What I mean is; the thinner the board, the more passes thru the blade. Anyway, I need some fat walnut for rocking chairs and some sycamore for rockers as well.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I believe its because the drying time is more than doubled. more days in the kiln = more cost for the fuel to run the kiln.:gar-Bi did I gits it right? did I? huh???:gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I believe its because the drying time is more than doubled. more days in the kiln = more cost for the fuel to run the kiln.:gar-Bi did I gits it right? did I? huh???:gar-La;

100% correct Fred, plus those diving boards are heavy to move around and cause more damage to the noggin' than 4/4 :gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Green carries a surcharge too.

It's the weight of the product and the demand for it. I bet 80% of the wood bought is 4/4 and the rest is thicker. If you cut your log into 8/4 or greater you are going to have a harder time marketing it. Supply and demand.

J

jeff...

It's the weight of the product and the demand for it. I bet 80% of the wood bought is 4/4 and the rest is thicker. If you cut your log into 8/4 or greater you are going to have a harder time marketing it. Supply and demand.

Couple of reasons:
#1 As Dave mentioned supply and demand (8/4 will dress to 1 3/4" finished)

#2 HEAVY did I mention HEAVY, especially you guys that make me cut WIDE 8/4

#3 But the most important reason is log size you just can take a small diameter log and cut it into 8/4 - well I guess you could but people would get upset. 20" DIB (Diameter Inside Bark) on the small end and bigger is best for 8/4.

#4 drying time and moisture content loss per day is another big factor.

I was hoping 9/4 would catch on... joint a face, joint an edge, resaw in 1/2 on your band saw then joint the edge and face of the un-jointed board. push both boards through the planner to bring to 3/4" thick and pull to width on your table saw. look Ma book matched boards...

or

Joint a face, joint an edge, push trough your planer finish off @ 2" thick pull to width on your table saw... Look Ma a 2x2 table leg :gar-La;

Just trying to think outside the box :wink_smil

J

jeff...

I must still be drunk on bird from yesterday.
(Erased it so the crime is gone...heh heh)
I just re-read the the post and realized I can get the Oak from Scott now.
This survey is for wood in Jan-Feb...
For that, I would want an Oak/Walnut mixture.

Yes if you looking for Kiln Dried Oak now please contact Scott Smith. This thread is pre planing tag team event (Scott and Jeff) for a lumber run for the Jan / Feb time frame.

Thanks

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
dave-o, call jack(saw4you). he has a ton of very nice poplar. not sure of maple, but he bugs me weekly on getting more of his poplar!:eusa_doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS