Newest WIP, design opinions wanted-Mo' Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've been given a little grief by a couple members because I haven't shown any projects in the last couple of weeks. That is because I have been working on this. I started it last weekend and unfortunitely didn't get as far as I hope to be able to post any good pics. Today I completed the last things that I wanted to, so I could show a few shots of it and ask for y'alls opinions.
I was inspired by Krenov's cabinets when coming up with this, but didn't want a large floor standing piece. I did start with the wood for the doors, keeping with Krenov's style, and what I got out of it dictated the rest of the cabinet.
The outer carcass is DT'ed gen. Mahogany and the interior is curly Birch. The doors are some crotch W. Oak that I re-sawed and book matched.

Krenov_styled_chest_002.jpg

Krenov_styled_chest_001.jpg

Krenov_styled_chest_007.jpg

Nothing is glued together, just held by the dry fit joinery. And a little MS wiped on to show some color. So I can make any alterations if needed based on the opinions I might get.
I am thinking of making half circle cut-outs for the door handles and drawer pulls to keep it simple, and the releve some of the air pressure from the piston fit.
I am also considering staining the Mahogany. carcass as it isn't as dark as I would like it to be. The rest of the finish will be blond shellac and semi-gloss lacquer, unless I get any better suggestions.
Thanks for looking and offering your thoughts.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

Re: Newest WIP, design opinions wanted

wow Dave, love that wood way cool - whats the dimensions of that?

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Approx. 12" by 20" by 8"
I love the wood to, it inspired me to spend too much money on it :eusa_doh:

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member

That's very impressive Dave. I really like the book matched doors. :eusa_clap

M

McRabbet

Nice job, Dave -- but I do agree that the Mahogany carcase needs to be darker -- you might experiment on a scrap with a little burnt sienna in some Seal-A Cell. And I must confess that I don't care for the shape of top. JMHO...

Rob

Rocker

New User
John

Dave,
This is beautiful. I love the curve to the legs...and of course the woods are great!!! I agree with Rob on the top. It might work better if you reversed the bevel, putting it on the bottom and maybe make the top thinner. But that's just my opinion. Excellent work. Inspiring.
John (Rocker)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

looks great dave but i think you got the blue latches off center.:rolf:
turned pulls would look good.

fred

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Thanks Rob and John, that's the type of feed back I was looking for. I believe that I have a bit more Mahogany to try the top another way.
Fred, I was just so envious of your blue tape hardware, that I thought I would give it a try on one of my boxes :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've only got about a ¼" clearance between the doors and the drawer fronts so I need a method to open the drawers that is very low profile. But I could turn some pulls for the doors :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

Monty

New User
Monty

That's going to be beautiful! I'm not creative enough to offer any real design advice - you're doing a great job!

NZAPP1

New User
Nick

:icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum WOW Dave that is beautiful. I like your choice of woods :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

dtomasch

New User
David

Dave,
I just flipped through my "fine Art of Cabinemaking" for some pictures to compare your piece to. Not too many in this book, but the few things that hit my brain were: Krenov seemed to use flush tops on his pieces (ie no overhang);outside pulls all seemed to be "free form" carvings.; for inside drawer pulls, I noticed some neat "thumbnail pulls" carved into the drawer front but did not go through the drawer front, just small recesssed dimples.
I love the wood choice, and really think that you can do no wrong with this piece. I agree that the top seems a little out of place, but remember, It's your art, and nobody can tell you that art is "wrong" if you like it then go for it and it will turn out amazingly. (it must be nice to have the midas touch) Looks great and keep the pics comming

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews

Dave, great looking cabinet. The doors are really cool. I agree with Rob and John on the top, bevel up. Nice job.:eusa_clap

Paul

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member

Awesome choice of wood w/the bookmatch. I'll also second the comment on the top but agree that it's your creation and if it feels good to you go for it.

Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Dan C.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

outside pulls all seemed to be "free form" carvings.; for inside drawer pulls, I noticed some neat "thumbnail pulls" carved into the drawer front but did not go through the drawer front, just small recesssed dimples.

Dave, I like that thought for the door pulls. Maybe even a twig, peeled of it's bark and lacquered :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

woodguy1975

New User
John

Dave,

I do like the walnut for the doors, but don't really see mahogany and walnut as a natural color combo. As for the design there are a couple things that are pretty minor. I'd leave the top off of the peice. It looks visually top heavy with it on. Second, (too late not probably) the inner case would have looked a little better reduced from 3/4 to may 1/2 in dimension. You would have also gained some internal space.

I love the base design with your feet!!!! Really like those feet. :icon_thum

See ya,

John

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Very nice!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

A lot of good ideas being thrown out here, too!!!! I kinda agree with others about the top and think either no top or mirror the sweep of the legs- up and out. Shuck, do it however the spirit moves you! :-D:-D

I must have missed it, what will be its intended use? Jewelry and necklace cabinet? Or just something you just wanted to make? :-D

sapwood

New User
Roger

Cool wood Dave! No reason, not to be creative when utilizing the "good stuff". :icon_thum

It does remind me of the butsudans Earl makes. I'm curious as to what he might have to add :eusa_thin

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Dave,

I do like the walnut for the doors, but don't really see mahogany and walnut as a natural color combo. As for the design there are a couple things that are pretty minor. I'd leave the top off of the piece. It looks visually top heavy with it on. Second, (too late not probably) the inner case would have looked a little better reduced from 3/4 to may 1/2 in dimension. You would have also gained some internal space.

I love the base design with your feet!!!! Really like those feet. :icon_thum

See ya,

John

John the doors are actually crotch W. Oak. The inner case thickness resulted from an early decision to inset the doors. I needed enough clearance for the piston fit drawers to open past the doors. Believe me I agonized over that fact, especially after I re-sawed the wood at ½" for the inner case, and it dawned on me that my plan wasn't gonna work :BangHead:

DaveO

New User
DaveO

I must have missed it, what will be its intended use? Jewelry and necklace cabinet? Or just something you just wanted to make? :-D

I just wanted to make it. It will be, as my wife says "A Dust Collector" :lol: :lol: :lol: If it comes out good enough I might try to find someplace to sell it...but I am not sure what to call it :eusa_doh:
What would Krenov use his cabinets for, they don't seem terribly practical either :eusa_thin :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK, new pics from todays extremely efficient :roll: :roll: day in the shop.
I took the advice I received on the top and thinned it and reversed the bevel. Now I know why I didn't choose that route to start...it's a lot of work. I didn't want to waste any more wood, so I re-sawed one piece to give me some 3/8" stock and then glued it together to form the panel size I needed. Several test cuts on scrap to find the bevel angle I liked, and what kind of an overhang it would produce. Then I made the final cuts.
Here's the new top, still not attached in case it doesn't pass scrutiny :eusa_doh: .

Krenov_styled_chest_009.jpg

The the real fun of the day. I started out cutting a half circle out of the drawer fronts to act as pulls. That went well, then I had the bright idea that I could inlay that cut out with Walnut to highlight it. That also went well, after I scraped everything flush, I assembled the drawers. The fronts are joined by rabbets and brass pins, and the rear are tongue and groove. The bottom is solid stock and floats in a dado with a shorted back for expansion. After the drawers were assembled, I test fit them again. They fit great, but I couldn't open them. My bright idea of the Walnut inlay had made the finger hole too small for my fat man fingers and I couldn't open the drawers :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
Being already glued together, I didn't have an easy solution for my brain fart.
My error turned into a neat design feature. I decided that I could cut a cove on the back of the drawer front to make them thinner so you didn't have to stick your finger in as far to get a grip.
That went well, but still wasn't enough clearance. So I thought I could cut a matching cove on the front of the drawer dividers to give more room.
Cut the d@#n thing on the wrong side of the piece :BangHead: :BangHead:
So after swearing enough to make a sailor in Jersey blush and run home to his Mom. I decided to try to make some lemonade out of my lemon :roll:
I decided to mirror my original "design modification" and make the same inlaid cut out in the divider.
I really like the final result.

Krenov_styled_chest_010.jpg

Krenov_styled_chest_011.jpg

Krenov_styled_chest_012.jpg

Wow, you wonder how I've obtained some many posts, as long winded as I can be 8-O 8-O
Thanks for looking again, and commenting on my changes :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors