Newest WIP, design opinions wanted-Mo' Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Dave,
I like the new top better. Since you have the doors off, can you hold them up with the grain running the other way opposite your first pic and see if you like that better?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,
I like the new top better. Since you have the doors off, can you hold them up with the grain running the other way opposite your first pic and see if you like that better?

Buddy, I hadn't thought about them along those lines. I kinda like the uplifting effect that the grain pattern offers in their current orientaton, but I haven't tried them the other way :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

Off to the shop to check that out.... :icon_thum

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,

Hmm, you may have something there :eusa_thin

Krenov_styled_chest_013.jpg

That's why I ask for opinions, often I miss the obvious.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I LIKE IT.:-D the finger pulls look great but could ya make em 1/8" smaller?:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: no no maybe 1/8" bigger.8-O the LOML thinks its cool so i guess you should just pack it up and bring it over here for finnishing.:eusa_thin ill get the magic paper out and you bring the peach paint!:rolf: :) .. BTW the top looks more natural in the new design.

fred

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Fred. I am having a problem lately with finishing things. It's two fold, one I can't get things done, as I try to take on more complicated projects. And two, after finishing with CA on my pens, every other finish seems inferior and takes way too long. I have three projects sitting in the finishing queue :BangHead:
Maybe I need to hire Dozer to come over and be my finishing man....he'll work for beer, right?

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
IMHO, now we all know what opinons (sp) are like and mine stinks most of the time, now with that in mind.
When I look at it I see 4 things the bottom (base), the top, the middle closed and the middle open.
The base is great IMO, the middle closed is fantistec (sp), the top is better now that you reversed it, but I dont think it matches the base, mabey if the base was wider?:eusa_thin or if the top had less angle cut and a bit of stright cut?
The middle open looks too heavy for the rest, if the top and base was heavy you would never notice it:eusa_thin
Again this is just MHO and it isnt worth a hoot

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Thanks Fred. I am having a problem lately with finishing things. It's two fold, one I can't get things done, as I try to take on more complicated projects. And two, after finishing with CA on my pens, every other finish seems inferior and takes way too long. I have three projects sitting in the finishing queue :BangHead:
Maybe I need to hire Dozer to come over and be my finishing man....he'll work for beer, right?

naw he's cheeper n that! a diet soda and lend im a lighter and ya cant get rid of im!:-D i was kiddin bout the finnishin though. every thing i have ever built was screwed up in the finnishin part! ask dozer!!!!:oops:

fred p

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
IMHO, now we all know what opinons (sp) are like and mine stinks most of the time, now with that in mind.
When I look at it I see 4 things the bottom (base), the top, the middle closed and the middle open.
The base is great IMO, the middle closed is fantistec (sp), the top is better now that you reversed it, but I dont think it matches the base, mabey if the base was wider?:eusa_thin or if the top had less angle cut and a bit of stright cut?
The middle open looks too heavy for the rest, if the top and base was heavy you would never notice it:eusa_thin
Again this is just MHO and it isnt worth a hoot

now that ya mention it the top looks too thin. a little beefier might look better.:eusa_doh: could ya make another top for us to look at? :rolf: dave??? you still with us????:eusa_whis

fred p

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Boy I love it when a plan comes together....by jove I think you've got it.

Dan C.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, the form is quite lovely. There is nothing that I can add to that. I am concerned that the white oak doors are going to be darker than the carcase. I know some others have suggested staining the mahogany with brown but have you considered using some red, traditional red mahogany stain. I would test it on some scraps but I used some red mahogany aniline dye stain on the clock I posted for the calendar and was amazed at how it made the grain pop while darkening the carcase. Regardless of what you do the piece will be lovely. Have you considered having some necklace/earring hangers in the upper section. Give the buyer a reason to buy it. In Doug Stowe's box books he frequently has light airy necklace/earring hangers. Just a thought...

Pretty work!:icon_thum :icon_thum

dtomasch

New User
David
Yeah Man,
I dig it. I think some walnut free form pulls, a little darkenkng stain for the carcass, and 275 coats of lacquor buffed between each coat and you'll have 'er in the books! Great work Dave, you should be proud:eusa_clap

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Dave, I like the modified design look. The top is a huge improvement and the finger pulls, rev 3??? look nice, too. :icon_thum

Whatcha gonna do for hinges?

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, the form is quite lovely. There is nothing that I can add to that. I am concerned that the white oak doors are going to be darker than the carcase. I know some others have suggested staining the mahogany with brown but have you considered using some red, traditional red mahogany stain. I would test it on some scraps but I used some red mahogany aniline dye stain on the clock I posted for the calendar and was amazed at how it made the grain pop while darkening the carcase. Regardless of what you do the piece will be lovely. Have you considered having some necklace/earring hangers in the upper section. Give the buyer a reason to buy it. In Doug Stowe's box books he frequently has light airy necklace/earring hangers. Just a thought...

Pretty work!:icon_thum :icon_thum

Big Mike, I have some Minwax Red Mahogany stain that I thought I would try on some scrap to see how the color looks. It worked great on a pine project I did for work :eusa_thin I thought I would also try some of the other left over stains I have in my arsenal.....seeing as I created a fair amount of scrap during this project :BangHead:
I like the idea of some necklace hangers. I would love to be able to make something vs. buying the very expensive Brusso variety. I wonder what I could turn on the lathe, that I could make to rotate :eusa_thin :eusa_thin :eusa_thin Any ideas??

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Whatcha gonna do for hinges?

Chuck

Chuck, I was going to use a brass pivot pin. But after some less than satsifactory attempts with that method on other boxes, I decided to buy some Brusso full mortise pivot hinges -
ST-12.gif

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, I strongly recommend picking up some aniline dye as opposed to the pigmented stain. The color will be much more uniform if you choose to go that way. That is why I love the aniline dyes.

Doug Stowe makes a frame with two arms mortised into a slender post. Then his wife sews up some sleeves that slide tightly over the arms. The fabric is light and lacy and allows the user to hang earrings on it or through it. The arms pivot outward to make both sides available for use. If you can take a look at one of his books you will see what I am talking about.

Similarly for necklaces I have made pivot arms that were attached to the ceiling of the box to which I attached tiny little brass cup hooks. I have also seen necklace racks that consisted of a dovetail sliding arrangement that allowed the user to pull out the slide and access the necklaces hanging thereon. I know that my description is as clear as mud but maybe it will at least give you some ideas.

The chest is wonderful as it is....I would display it empty for fear of scratching all that wonderful wood....

Dave, I have one other suggestion for hinging. I have used brass rod to make concealed pins that allowed me to pivot the doors on the pins eliminating the need for the knife hinges. All you have to do is make a jig that located the holes for the brass pins and drill the holes so they don't penetrate the top or bottom. Do the same on the doors and when you put it together the pins are trapped in the assembley. I always carefully round over the brass pins so they don't drill themselves into the wood as you open and close the doors. Brass rod is cheap, knife hinges are not....

woodguy1975

New User
John
Re: Newest WIP, design opinions wanted

John the doors are actually crotch W. Oak. The inner case thickness resulted from an early decision to inset the doors. I needed enough clearance for the piston fit drawers to open past the doors. Believe me I agonized over that fact, especially after I re-sawed the wood at ½" for the inner case, and it dawned on me that my plan wasn't gonna work :BangHead:

Good point on the clearance for the drawers. :-D That makes sense. That is some really funky oak there dude!!! Does make an interesting bookmatch.

DavidF

New User
David
I really like the reversed orientation of the doors:eusa_clap Personally I would go without the top altogether. Love the drawer pulls! Nice cabinet, well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS