New Walnut Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Just finished a new Walnut bowl on a new-to-me Delta 1440 lathe. The material was really awesome to turn. Finishing was more challenging than the Oak I've been working on, carefully taking it through each grit carefully checking for scratches every time.

Turnings 027.jpg

I also posted several more new turning pictures in my gallery:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=757

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome bowl!

It looks like the bottom of the bowl goes on forever! Really great finish!:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_clap

Can you tell us what you did to get such a great finish?

Thanks

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
WOW, that is some outstanding figure in that Walnut. It looks like a black (Walnut) hole :lol::lol:

Turnings_027.jpg

Dave:)

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Awesome bowl!

It looks like the bottom of the bowl goes on forever! Really great finish!:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_clap

Can you tell us what you did to get such a great finish?

Thanks

Wayne

Hi Wayne,
Well, we will see how it turns out is all I can say. I took it through all the sanding grits and put Danish Oil on it, but I found too many scratches in it. So I went back to a 60 grit and started over again up to a 240. Then covered it again in two coats of DO.

I put on a coat of poly, but it came out very bad and I removed it with mineral spirits before it had fully dried. This left the wood looking dry, so as an experiment I added a coat of oil which is used for wooden cutting boards. Don't ask me why, it just seemed like a good thing to do.

Finally, two coats of Bri-Wax. From some things I have read recently, I may have put the Bri-Wax on too soon. Some suggest that the oils need to breath for 30 - 60 days before the wax seals them. Otherwise the wax can become hazed. We will see what happens; it's not too hard to fix if that is the case though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS