New to this site but not to woodworking..

Status
Not open for further replies.

precista46

New User
Rich
I just joined this site this morning and before doing that I read as many posts as I could...it may be that I have a terrific interest in this particular sort of work and found the enthusiasm a bit contagious, but it really seems to be a friendly group that shows assistance rather than competition as many other group sites seem to pose...

Anyway...I have been carving and woodworking for more than 40 years and about 20 years ago I quit my day job to do freelance design and carving...went into the Craft Fair circuit for 4 years and made decoys, weathervanes, folk art replicas and gold leaf signs...somehow managed to earn enough to live decently but had to eventually go back to work for the same company I quit to do my own thing!!...but at my rules...!!!!!!

I finally left that business to move from New York and wound up here in Winston-Salem for the past 14 years and will retire in May...that's when I will be doing the carving in earnest as well as making Scandinavian styled fixed blade knives...always looking for outlets to show or sell my work and have contributed heavily to Habitat For Humanity for their annual Bird Fest auctions since 1995..a wonderful group to help out and I have been fortunate enough to be awarded Best of Show 5 of the past 13 years....these pieces have been therapy for my day job...

Now back to the search for cedar and soft pine logs for those decoys!!!!
Nice to be here..
Rich Andrews

Added some shots of my Habitat carvings into the photo section under precista46

Last edited:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Welcome Rich!!

As I'm sure you know, there are more than a few good carvers in our ranks.

Please post some pics of your work and enjoy the sawdust pile, it is the best on the web!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Welcome Rich:

As another ex-New Yorker, I am glad you could join us. Please post some pics of your work. It sounds outstanding.

Doug

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome Rich, glad you could join our little world. We look forward to your input in the forums.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Rich! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap This is such a great group of folks. Feel free to jump in at any time. Please post some pictures of your work soon. :icon_thum

Cheers,

Trent

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hi Rich,

Nice intro.

I'd like to see your carvings and knives, I'm interested in both, but haven't been able to make either very well. Always something more to learn and play with.

I was in the sign business a long time ago and did a lot of Gold Leaf on glass and a few on wood. Nothing looks as nice when it is done well. I really hate the new film stuff.

Hope to see you around.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to site Rich and congratulations on your upcoming retirement!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_danc

I sure am looking forward to seeing some pictures of your work.:wsmile::wsmile:

Wayne

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Welcome, Rich. Glad to have another "arteest" in our number. I'm a fancier of decoys, so post some pics when you can.

I trust you are an ex "up-stater." I have friends in Oneida, Syracuse, Buffalo, etc. Beautiful area for about 6 months of the year!

Only competition you'll see here will be DaveO trying to maintain his "top poster" status!!

:wsmile:

precista46

New User
Rich
Many thanks for the welcome...

I lived in Massapequa, Long Island for about 19 years before moving to Winston and I WOULD NEVER MOVE BACK!!!!...simply too much of a rat race and waaaay to costly to live there..
Would like to post images here but guess they go into the members albums section...so I will put some there hastily..
Cheers
Rich

Now where's that cedar???

Glennbear

Glenn
Greetings Rich from another transplanted yankee. Early congratulations on your upcoming retirement. As has already been said, we love pictures :wsmile:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
WELCOME!!!!!

Never met but one Yankee, among the MANY I've met over the years, that fit the "paradigm" I heard as a kid. All were good folk. I'm sure you've found the same thing true of us "Suth'ners".

Now, those Hollanders are a different story entirely...:wink_smil

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Only competition you'll see here will be DaveO trying to maintain his "top poster" status!!

:wsmile:

Ain't no competion there :nah:
Welcome Rich, I am glad you found us. I look forward to your input in the forums as you seem to have a lot of experience to share. Also as mentioned by many I too would love to see some pictures of your work.
See you around!!

Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Congrats and welcome to our little corner of the WWW, Rich. W-S is a great place to be. I worked there for 7 years in my "prior" life.
Looking forward to seeing some of your work. I like dekes too!! Wish I could carve 'em!

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Rich -- I'm a former Empire Stater, too, but I'm from the western hinterlands of Rochester -- left there in '68 and would never move back due to the lonnnnnngggg winters and high cost of living. Look forward to seeing pics of some of your carving and knives -- easy to upload pics to you own album (Click on Photo Gallery on Blue Menu Bar (or click the camera in one of your posts) to get to the Gallery Index. Just use the Upload Pictures command at top right and follow the steps. To include a picture in a post, suggest you read the very good thread in the FAQ Forum and then try it out!

Again, happy to have you here and know you'll enjoy your retirement.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Rich to NCWW and North Carolina. We have lots of very talented wood workers here. Please show us pictures of your works.

BTW moved down from Poughkeepsie 16 years ago and WILL NEVER MOVE BACK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS