New lathe working alright

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I put my new HF lathe through some paces this weekend. Turned a Cherry bowl and a couple of pens. The HF lathe is like a Cadillac to me after what I was working on. I highly recommend it to budget minded beginning turners. But the greatest thing was my new Oneway Talon chuck. I realized that I'm not a bad turner, I was just using a really bad chuck. The Talon held despite some minor catches, and performed beyond my expectations.
Here's the result of my new lathe trials:

Pens_067.jpg

Funny thing is now I have a bigger lathe and this is the smallest bowl I've ever turned. 6" dia. and 2¾" tall. Plain ordinary Cherry.

Pens_059.jpg

308 casing pen (thanks Nick for the casing and not loading it for me :-D ) with mineral stained Poplar top.

Pens_062.jpg

A little pen blank alchemy coming out of the lab. Jeff's... curly Sycamore cut on a 45° bias, and Walnut veneer.

Thanks for looking :icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Wow Dave, thanks for the lathe review, nice work rolling off that new lathe of yours...

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
:icon_thum :icon_thum WOW your are turning out some projects (no punt intended) Great work Dave

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great work DaveO! But aren't you moving too fast :slap:
The lathe was an Xmas present and you're already cranking out some very nice pieces. Just couldn't wait, could you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW Dave! At this rate you will have totally exhausted the scrap pile in the matter of hours!

You have already turned out some very artistic work! Love the cherry bowl and the sycamore/walnut pen!

I can clearly see that you are really giving the new lathe a good workout!

Thanks for sharing your successes!

Wayne

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Great looking bowl and pens Dave. You are really turning out some nice stuff on that new present.

J

jeff...

Dave, this the HF lathe you got?

Attachments

• dec05$01.jpg
    dec05$01.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 141

sawman

New User
Albert
Dave, the projects look great, I guess I need to go to HF and look around.

Albert, Al or whatever

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
there are lots of gems in the HF collection. I've got a few nailers, a new filister/[STRIKE]rabbetting[/STRIKE]McRabbetting plane, and soon will be getting a 2HP dust collector. The lathe happens to be one of the finer things.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Pete, that is true. I am interested in your McRabbett plane. Is it like a Stanley #92 or #73 style??? I have only seen a smoother and block plane a HF. Got the smoother and now use it like a jack plane :eusa_danc
Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Michael Garner picked this one up in the HF distribution center near Dillon, SC. He found one in the Fayetteville store about 5 weeks ago? I saw it, and darted over to it the next day... they didn't have any left.

I was able to find an illustration of the 92, definitely not that one, perhaps the 73, but I can't find any pics, and can't find Blood n Guts

perhaps I'll earn camera privileges again soon?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors