Need help with corner cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Lorraine: I am definitely no expert. but I think the reason base cabinets have the back inset so far is to allow for trimming the sides to match any irregularities in the wall/baseboards (wall not flat or out of plumb), and also to allow running things like icemaker water lines, etc. behind the back during installation to keep them out of the cabinet space. Hopefully one of the pros will chime in here.:-?

Go

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You do not need 2" of space in the back. Normally, I allow a 1/2" maximum for scribing to the wall to make the cabinet fit straight. Depending on your walls, floors, and what is or is not going to show, mileage will vary.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
The cabinet that holds the kitchen sink has all it plumbing inside the cabinet. The other two cabinets don't have any need to come away from the back wall so I am looking at adding the back flush with the back edge of the side of the cabinet. I don't mind if I have a cleat inside the cabinet for the cabinet to be attached to the wall. I could even put that cleat on the outside of the back and screw into it. I had most of my plywood cut down the middle at 24' for ease in handling and now find that 36" cabinet back can't be had so it is back to Lowes tomorrow. Another lesson to learn.
As for the color of the cherry, darn, why didn't I think of that? I guess I am so happy with them that I can't see that. Come into the kitchen and some of you will see my mistakes. Thanks for the help and advice, as I told Travis if it weren't for this site and the members within it I would be lost. I depend of your help and knowledge and will alway be grateful. Thanks.

Lorraine

dtomasch

New User
David
FANTASTIC Loraine!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap You have outdone yourself. You should be proud of accomplishing a very difficult project with expertise.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Love that wine & plate rack, Lorraine!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_clap

Your cabinetry really looks great!!! As that cherry continues to darken, it will look even better I am quite sure!!!

You certainly seem to have mastered the art of cabinetry! A lot more adventurous than I will ever be!!!

You must be very proud of that great work!!

Wayne

PS: Enjoy a few glasses of wine for Christmas and New Years in celebration for a job well done!!!

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
:icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum :eusa_clap GREAT WORK Loraine :eusa_clap Your cabinets are awesome

sapwood

New User
Roger
Lorraine, the cabinets look great. No way I would tackle a project like that yet. The wine and plate holders add a lot :icon_thum

Roger

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Thanks again for looking and for sharing kind words with me. Travis, I just took a look at the cabinets again after viewing the pics on this post. I see the difference in shades but am happy to report that it isn't noticable in real light. I appreciate the mention of the need to watch for different shades in wood. I seem to go through the pile and pick out what is there and make sections from that piece. It usually works. Tomorrow my husband and I will tackle the base cabinets. Wish us luck, it is a first for me. Thanks Travis for the help I think I know what I am going to be doing. Thanks again guys. Pleasure sharing with you all. thanks again for the encouragement. Lorraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS