Need help with corner cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
As I progress with my kitchen cabinets I have come across something that is giving me a difficult time. If someone will move my kitchen cabinets over to the post I would appreciate it. As you can see I have a set of pantry cabinets on the right followed by a wall cabinet and another cabinet going down another wall. The empty space is my problem. If you can't build it like you want it then why build them at all. With that in mind I have a vision of a cabinet with wine bottles in the top third followed by wine glasses and 10" plates on the bottom. My problem is the space for the bottles. I have 12 1/4" space to fill. I know how to put it together, but will take suggestions. I have 3/4" on the left side as part of the ff on the other cabinet and plan to use solid 3/4 on both sides of the cabinet. I can see a 3/4" dado in the middle but that gives me, if my figures are correct, 5 1/4" opening for two 3" bottles. I think that is too much. I see 6 bottles with 7" for the space for the glasses and 11" for the plates, possibly 12" for the plates. Please give me some suggestions. Lorraine

Attachments

• Picture_0158.jpg
    Picture_0158.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Picture_0141.jpg
    Picture_0141.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Picture_0140.jpg
    Picture_0140.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited by a moderator:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Come on people, lots of you have built kitchen cabinets. Lorraine needs some suggestions. Let's get helpful.:yes4lo:

Lorraine, I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what the issue is.:BangHead:

MikeF

New User
Mike
Lorraine, I'm not sure I completely understand your issue. Are you refering to the space in the attached picture?

Mike

Attachments

• Picture_0141a.JPG
    Picture_0141a.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have been out of town for a few days in the lovely city of Reston. Too much traffic.

I don't completely follow myself. Are you going to let the bottles stick out?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would consider a quarter round corner curio-type cabinet/shelves in that space. That would round out the corner nicely and allow the bank of cabinets to turn the corner smoothly.
Just another thought :dontknow:
Dave:)

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Ok guys let me explain again. Yes the space in question is the one on the left corner just as you go around to another set of cabinets. I have settled on an insert on the bottom that will slide into a cabinet. I will have vertical solid probably 3/8th inch cherry for plates to slide into. I will come back and finish that space with a faceframe. The upper space will hold wine bottles that will lay in the opening. I have two options. I can come in from the direction that you see and have a total usable space of 12 1/4 inch or go around and use the other side and have 13 3/8th usable space. I wanted to have wineglasses in the middle but I don't know if I will have the space. I am doing the math on both measurements and making my decision from that. Yes a corner cabinet would be nice but it wouldn't work with the plate cabinet that I really want. I would be happy with the square corner. The bottom cabinet will also be square so that would look good. My husband and I are very happy with the cabinets thus far. We hang wall cabinets on the stove and sink wall today and tomorrow. Lorraine

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I think I follow. Lay it out to which side works the best for you. My suggestion instead of using a solid panel on the one side is to make a door to fit over it to keep your lines looking right. So basically, instead of a solid panel on the side that will not be open, you go ahead and do a face frame and make a door to fit over it that is permanently mounted. That way the lines of your cabinet doors and frames are continuous and uninterrupted by a solid piece.

My .02, and hope I am on track for what you are asking.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Travis, is am ahead of you there. I have already made cabinets at the kitchen window that have the look of a door. My husband was quite impressed with that detail. Lorraine

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Cool. It is a nice touch. Otherwise on what to do, go with your gut. From what you have shown and done already, you seem to have it down. My advice is to try out several styles of bottles glasses with a rough mock up in your shop and I would say you are ready and to always have your hardware in advance. Even if you have the sizing for the hardware it will fool you, at least it has me.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Thanks for the help. I purchased the dowels tonight so I guess I need to start drilling some holes. Thanks again for everything. Lorraine

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Lorraine,

I just went back a re-read your post. What I would do is build the outside corner unit so that two (three?) bottles have the tops facing one way (laying down), then on the next row the tops would face the other way, etc. - alternating the direction each succeeding shelf. There are a couple of different ways to build and install something like that but I would try to do it with a diagonal lattice type structure or horizontal dowels.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
The corner cabinet is complete and will be posted tomorrow. Thanks to all for the help. Six new bottles of wine now fill the slots.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Six new bottles of wine now fill the slots.

Sounds like it is time to uncork one of them and celebrate your accomplishments :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Pending picture proof of course :-D
I look forward to seeing what you have come up with:icon_thum

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Looking forward to seeing what you did with that corner. You have done some beautiful work so far :eusa_clap Thanks for sharing your project with us :icon_thum

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I will see if I can post the pics on my gallery tonight. Delayed because someone borrowed my camera and I can't find it. I am now sorting through the problems of making my first base cabinet. I have three going across one wall with the stove, sink and dishwasher included. Lorraine

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I have posted four pics in my gallery for viewing on this post. Would someone be kind enough to move them here for me. Also if someone has any suggestions on base cabinets with regard to the back of the cabinet please comment. My books mention 1/4 or 1/8 board going in for the back and that it is set into the cabinet about 2 1/2 inch with bracing behind the board. My biggest single cabinet is 36". Lorraine

102_2388.JPG

102_2385.JPG

102_2386.JPG

102_2387.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Lorraine that looks awesome. Now I can see what you were talking about with the corner cabinet questions. You did it great :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Dave, the wine is chilling. It comes out when the project is completed. I am blowing my mind trying to figure out how to deal with the back of the base cabinets. I think I will make them like the wall units. I will decide tomorrow. Thanks for moving my pics and for the kind words. Husband Al and I are very pleased so far.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Looks good Lorraine. One piece of constructive feedback. Start watching your boards for color and matching up the color and grain for your face frames. They don't have to be perfect, but you don't want a real dark piece right next to a real light piece.

BTW, I need to practice that on my dresser. The bottom drawer doesn't match at all, but at least I screwed it up and have to build it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS