My First Bandsaw Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
I just finished my first bandsaw box and would note that it only took a while longer to build than it took to post pictures in the gallery. This old guy used to think he was pretty smart, but navigating that gallery of ours is a humbling experience. So take a look at my efforts if interested. (See GrGramps in the galleries.)
Roy

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Great looking box Roy! I can only dream about building something that beautiful. Keep up the great work!
P.S. I took the liberty of putting the image in this post to make it easier for others to see it. If they want the work in progress, they can go to your album.

BSBox5.JPG

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Very Nice! Did you pull that design from the bandsaw box book? BTW Roy, we need to get together and meet sometime since we're both in the greater metropolitan Horse Shoe area.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Pappy, That was a good idea to bring the photo up where it can be seen without wading through the gallery. This is not one of the more difficult things to build. The really neat thing about this is there is no concern for whether it's square!

Steve, I'm glad you mentioned the book. Lois Keener Ventura has written, "Building Beautiful Boxes with Your Band Saw" which my wife gave me for Christmas. Can't imagine why? This was recommended to me by a guy who had some beautiful boxes that I had admired. He had other books on the subject, but said this was the best.
I'm in the phone book, so give me a call when you have time.

Roy

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome box, Roy! :eusa_clap

The lid handles suite the overall design to a tee!!!

What type of wood is it made from and what are the physical dimensions?

Great work!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Roy, that is awesome. For your first BS box, your execution is flawless :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap How long did you sand on it :lol: :lol: :lol: You started out with the bible of BS boxes. Lois Ventura takes all the mystery out of their construction. I second the wood identification request. My guess, Maple and Mahogany pulls???
Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
That's a great looking box! I'd second DaveO's guess about the wood. Please don't keep us in suspense or Dave will start posting continuously!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
cskipper said:
That's a great looking box! I'd second DaveO's guess about the wood. Please don't keep us in suspense or Dave will start posting continuously!

Cathy, what is your guess :-D If I start posting more continuously things are gonna get ridiculous :lol: :lol:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
What a beautiful piece of work.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap One day I plan to try one but I'm not sure I or my BS is up to the challenge. I sure like yours.

T

toolferone

Bandsaw boxes are very cool. Yours is a great example! Keep up the great work.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great looking box Ray.:icon_thum I am in the process of working on a couple of them myself. What did you use for your finish? I hoping to put the finish on mine tomorrow.

D L

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
I'm overwhelmed with your responses which I suppose are based mostly on the appeal that a bandsaw box has. That was my reaction when I saw the first one less than a year ago. I want to build one of those, was my thought. Now, I'm looking at other designs and tools to speed the sanding.

The box is 10" long, 6" tall and 4 1/4" deep and is made with cherry and has a shellac finish. The design is straight out of the book and is entitled, "Whale Play". I lined the drawers with adhesive backed green felt from Lee Valley that was left over from a previous project.

I knew zip about these boxes and got all my information from the book (Lois Keener Ventura has written, "Building Beautiful Boxes with Your Band Saw"). She uses an oil finish, while I am enjoying the benefits of using shellac. This has started me looking through the Grizzly catalogue at sanding machines, which would be useful for other projects too. I started the shaping with a wood rasp and then followed with sanding. It takes patience.

It was a cool 34 Fahrenheit this morning in Horse Shoe. Thanks again for your comments.

Roy

Last edited:

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
Great box!!

I picked up the book you mentioned a couple weeks ago per Dave O's suggestion. You've inspired me!!!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
cskipper said:
Maple and mahogany.

Sorry, Cathy, I misread your earlier post. I thought it said that you seconded guessed my guess. Not seconded it :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: I guess Roy is still gonna leave us in suspense as to the wood used :-(

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Dave, As Moderator, do you have the power to make a post nearly 2 hours later than mine and have it appear before mine? I would never have noticed this except that at 8:17 AM my post appears as #3 on page 2, while your's of 10:09 AM shows as Post #11 on page 1. I had already answered the question regarding wood. We aren't in a different time zone, are we? Enlighten me please.

Nevertheless, the box is cherry and the pulls are mahogany.

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS