Looking for 5/4 Ash or Cypress 20' long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
An associate @ work it trying to rebuild a fiberglass canoe. It has wood gunwales on it 18' - 6" long and they need to be curved to fit the canoe. He wants to use Ash or Cypress for weather resistance. I've tried to persuade him to do a laminate glue up but he insists on making this from 1 piece. Any of you sawyers out there got something close? PM me if you do or put it up here. He only needs 1 piece 4"+ wide to do both sides.
TIA

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Dennis, if your associate can wait a while till I pick up the next load of cypress I will pick up a 20' log to help him out. I know I am a little far away for a couple of boards but.. Not quite sure when that will be, because I just stocked up w/ logs but will let you know.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Dennis,

Not sure what brand he has, but most are more than one piece from the factory, though they are grain matched scarf joints rather than laminated. The grain match isn't perfect and when they are old you will sometimes find a tiny separation on the glue line. If he has the old ones and they are just mostly rotted, I would encourage him to inspect them closely and see if he finds a scarf joint. I bet he does. The joint is done before the shaping and becomes almost invisible. Mine were ash and I would not consider cypress a good alternative; it dents way too easy.

saw4you

New User
Jack
My answer would be the same as Ivey, I could get all I wanted on the next laod, ash on the other hand I could get really quick. Pm me if you are interested in the ash.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS