LOML Xmas present finally done

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I finally got the kitchen hutch that my wife wanted for Christmas finished. She didn't expect it to be done for Xmas proper, she had me making too many other things instead, although she has got a little impatient as it gets closer to being done. The design is my own, with inspiration from an antique hutch we have. Styling is primary the call of SWMBO with some real wood mediation from me...it's beginning to grow on me :oops:

Kitchen_hutch_019.jpg

Kitchen_hutch_015.jpg

I took the pictures in my shop for several reasons. One, it wouldn't fit in my new photo box :eusa_doh::lol: Two, I will probably tear it up trying to get it into the house. And three, with in minutes of getting it in the kitchen it will be so full of the LOML's stuff that I wouldn't get a good picture.
This project had many firsts for me. First dado carcass construction, first making of practice doors :BangHead: :BangHead:, first time making my own molding stock (not the crown), and first time using crown molding. Thanks to everyone for the advice of cutting the crown. That was the most intimidating element of the whole project and also turned out to be the most frustrating. I took many suggestions and tips for cutting the crown, and ended up making this jig that made it fairly simple.
Kitchen_hutch_013.jpg

The frustration came when installing it and aligning the glue blocks and clamping everything. I didn't use any brads to install it, because I had pre-finished it prior to mitering to fit.

My wife is happy and so am I :-D
Thanks for looking :icon_thum

Dave:)

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
That looks great Dave.
I really like the contrast.
Now how many more matching pieces do you have to make for the rest of the kitchen?
Ron

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That looks great Dave.
I really like the contrast.
Now how many more matching pieces do you have to make for the rest of the kitchen?
Ron

Ron, this will match very well with what we currently have in the kitchen. The cabinets are R. Oak, and I stained the Oak(s) in this project to match. The kitchen table has a natural wood top and black painted legs, with black chairs, and many of the appliances are black. Maybe that's why SWMBO dictated it be painted black also...she's got the eye for decorating, not me :5dunce:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Great job and let's see some photos with plates and stuff.
I'm with Dan. In place, with all of the stuff in it, and if possible with SWMBO in the pic as well. The way it turned out it'd be great to see the smile on her face showing her pleasure with your work. Great execution of a great plan!:icon_thum

cskipper

Cathy
Dave, you did a great job on this piece. Did it make it into the house okay? How full is it now?

T

toolferone

Dave,

Your wife has a good eye and you did a great job making it happen. It is a great looking piece! It is a DaveO original. What kind of paint did you use and how did you apply it?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Dave it looks great all dressed up in black! I like it. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

What are the finished dimensions?

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,

Your wife has a good eye and you did a great job making it happen. It is a great looking piece! It is a DaveO original. What kind of paint did you use and how did you apply it?

I used an acrylic latex, 2 coats over 2 coat of Kilz primmer sanded smooth between coats. Dozer recommend the paint for it's durability. I used a foam roller and natural bristle brush to apply it. I hate painting !!!!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave it looks great all dressed up in black! I like it. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

What are the finished dimensions?

Chuck

The bottom cabinet is 45" x 24" x 36" and the upper shelves are 44" x 14" x 46" overall it's about 7' tall 8-O

b4man

New User
Barbara
OH Dave! That is gorgeous! Looks very Biedemier (sp?) to me. Your wife has great taste and you have great talent.
Would you please do a tutorial on making the crown jig? It looks better than the ones I've read about and seen in other places.:eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Barbara, I had to look that up :lol: :lol:

The crown jig came out of the Dec./Jan. issue of Wood magazine (issue 174). But it isn't too different than what was suggested by many folks in this thread
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6305
The basic premise is that you determine the spring angle of the molding, that is the angle that is mounted on the piece as opposed to the right of the wall/ceiling. The stop on the miter saw table holds the crown upside down and at that angle and then it is just cut at a standard 45°.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
:icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum WOW Dave it tuned out great :eusa_clap Nice work and details

rhett

New User
rhett
That turned out very nice. I am glad to see you chose to leave the crown unpainted. Are the pulls painted wood also?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great job, Dave!!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_danc

The beadboard back looks great and I too really like the contrast in the finish.

LOYL must once again be very, very proud of hubby!!!!!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS