Leftovers from - Raleigh KD lumber run #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Came home with a bunch of lumber from the raleigh KD lumber run #4. I unloaded it yesterday and stacked it up in my shop. One of my sons made a comment that got me to thinking pretty hard about Mills Custom Sawing. It went along the lines of what some old wise old man once told me: "Doing things the same time after time expecting different results is insane". So I think I need to change what I'm doing. What I'm going to do I'm not exactly sure yet, I can say it'll be something different. I'm starting to accumulate to much inventory again.

Here's a few pics of pecies I brought home, don't know how you guys over looked these, but you did... I don't think we got through 1/2 the trailer load before everyone found those special boards, maybe that's why these were over looked...

P101000411.JPG

P10100083.JPG

P10100101.JPG

Thanks

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
How far a drive are you from Raleigh, Jeff?

I'm more likely to drive than to unload a whole trailer in a parking lot, I hate to say. :lol:

I would have definitely gotten so of that intense stuff if I'd have seen it.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
C'mon Chris unloading is half the fun..... reloading is the other half:rolf:. I'm sorry that I missed this run (cash flow), but I sure didn't miss moving all that wood in 90 degree heat.

Jeff, as usual you always seem to find beautiful pieces left over, but that's because your wood's so nice. I'm not too sure about that wood with the wrinkles in it though:lol:.

Maybe next time.

Jimmy

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Jeff,

Sorry to hear that the run wasn't a complete success. Saturdays are a bad day for me because I work with Habitat for Humanity every Saturday.

Is you address available? I don't know whether I can do it, but would like to pay a visit to look through a couple of species (walnut, oak, not-sure-what-else). I do have a couple of projects coming up:-D... I think:roll:... business travel depending:-(...

Ray

J

jeff...

I see that material handling is a down side. What else? I'm listening ...

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
It was warm out there for sure.

I don't think we even got halfway through the stack. Maybe like 1/3 or a little better.

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Well you could maybe throw in pizza and beer. We'd have some lumber flying off the trailer, man.

Seriously, I appreciate you making it available close to me and good prices. If walnut comes around I will be there.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Well, if Morganton was closer to Raleigh I'd be all over those boards in the pic! I would buy for myself for a birthday present! Beautiful!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Material handling bites, I don't even like it at home, but what can you do? I still like the cameraderie and meeting everybody. Even though the weathers been hot, it could have been worse, it could have rained.

Anyway, you da' man Jeff, and your product rocks .

'Nuff said .

Jimmy:-D

gator

George
Corporate Member
It went along the lines of what some old wise old man once told me: "Doing things the same time after time expecting different results is insane". So I think I need to change what I'm doing. What I'm going to do I'm not exactly sure yet, I can say it'll be something different. I'm starting to accumulate to much inventory again.Thanks

Jeff,

Have you looked at the possibility of supplying Klingspor and the new Woodcraft. If might be a possible outlet, especially for some of the more figured/special sticks. At the price that they charge, they could pay you what you normally get and still make a profit on their end. Now I'm not saying that you should stop the offers to NCWWs but simply that this might be a possibility for your overflow.

George

PS: Don't forget to let me know what pick-up arrangements are best for you for the 4/4 walnut when ready.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff, I got some nice stuff this trip but if I had seen that piece before Dave I would have bought it. Even brought you some non-members. I think what might have hurt you this time was some folks had asked for walnut and since it was not ready they passed. Maybe this run was to close to the previous run. Maybe you need to space them 2 month apart. Maybe do every other run to Burlington. Again guessing.

Anyway I am very very please with what I rec'd your last two trips and I hope you continue. I for one would be willing to travel a bit further if need be.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Now slow down guys... yes he can supply Klingspor and Woodcraft as long as we keep getting first choice:lol:. Don't give him too many ideas or we may lose him...... then again, if we don't use him, Jack, Ivey or Kyle we could lose them.

Support your local sawyers.

Jimmy:)

J

jeff...

I'm not at all set up to sell lumber out of my shop, there is no way to get back there, but to walk about 3/4 of an acre and trust me you would rather unload a trailer than carry lumber that far. Besides I'm not zoned right... found that out when I had to move my sawmill or face a fine. So I don't do businesss activities at home anymore. I think I need some easy accessable warehouse space or maybe a storefront. Renting such a space carries overhead and will make lumber prices go up, which is not good. Besides I really don't want to venture into the retail business, I would rather just saw lumber. It's a catch 22... anyways it would be very difficult for me to do both by myself.

I think what I need to do is partner up with someone who wants to run the retail side of things, while I continue to saw. I developed this type of partnership with Ted for logs and Scott for kiln drying, those two relationships seem to be working very well. It may be about time to take the next step and find someone willing to retail...

What's your thoughts or am I all wet?

lottathought

New User
Michael
Hey Jeff,
I know that the only reason I did not show is that I had prior commitments.
I imagine that there are a few people like that around here.

I know we have a few NCWW's here in the Raleigh area.
Do any of them have a little extra space?
You could leave some extra with them for those that can not make the pickup.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Well Jeff I gotta say this is the 3 rd run I have participated in and although I only buy around 50 bd ft a time I have been very pleased with the wood, the prices, and the service.Hope it continues and i have also told some non-members if thats alright.. Thanks again:eusa_clap

toolman

New User
Chad
Jeff,

Have you looked at the possibility of supplying Klingspor and the new Woodcraft. If might be a possible outlet, especially for some of the more figured/special sticks.

Don't forget East Wake Hardwood.

Now slow down guys... yes he can supply Klingspor and Woodcraft as long as we keep getting first choice:lol:. Don't give him too many ideas or we may lose him...... then again, if we don't use him, Jack, Ivey or Kyle we could lose them.

Support your local sawyers.

Jimmy:)

Jimmy

I believe that all of the sawyers will give use first choice, but we as a group can not buy all of the wood sawed. I say you sawyers go for it :icon_thum:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS