Lathe turned spoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is a very different spoon than I have ever made before. Just made it up as I went along.

First get a stick of firewood out of the pile and mount it in the lathe.

One end is mounted off center...

IMG_2257.jpg

The other end is centered.

IMG_2259.jpg

When you start to turn the off centered end the cuts should start to show very soon.

IMG_2260.jpg

Start roughing out the bowl and handle.

IMG_2261.jpg

The top of the bowl is not cut at this point.

IMG_2262.jpg

Make the handle any design you like and a sort of egg shape for the bowl.

IMG_2263.jpg

A little sanding on the lathe helps smooth the handle.

IMG_2264.jpg

Cut away the waste at the band saw.

IMG_2265.jpg

Drill out the bowl, be careful not to go too deep.

IMG_2266.jpg

Use bent chisels, scorp or bent knife to hollow and smooth bowl.

IMG_2267.jpg

I got this bent knife from Ragweed Forge, it is very easy to use and cuts a lot of wood quickly.

IMG_2268.jpg

It makes smooth fine cuts as well.

IMG_2269.jpg

Just a little sanding inside the bowl.

IMG_2270.jpg

And it is done. Now I just have to oil it.

IMG_2271.jpg

Total time 2 hours 15 minutes and that is stopping to make pictures.

:squirrel:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Nice spoon! That's basically what I did when you issued the spoon challenge a while back. Wish I'd thought of using the forstner to help dish out the bowl!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, that is awesome. Thanks for the pictorial/tutorial. I attempted a spoon on my lathe but didn't use the off center mounting. I will have to give that a try now.

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That looks great Mike! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I've always wondered how to make a spoon. I might have to give this darkside thing a try....... :eusa_thin

Trent

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Very nice! I thought you were headed for the old "saw the whole thing in half" trick at first. You made a much more substantial dipper. I was just out using a Forstner to get really close to final depth in the jouhikko; with luck I may be fitting the top tonight. I considered it for hogging in the early stages also, but it needs a lot of long pauses to let the bit cool. Very nice bent knife. My cheap Warren isn't near as substantial.:jealous:

:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap WOW Mike that is great :icon_thum I will have to give that a try once I get this shop usable. The LOML is hounding me to get the shop organized before doing any turning :BangHead::BangHead:

Last edited:

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
That's very cool Mike! Thank you for the photo explanation (very handy for us visual learners).

cskipper

Cathy
Drill out the bowl - now he tells me :lol: - and a bent knife- hmmmmm. Cool tutorial, thanks.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Don't buy one Cathy, yours is sitting here in my desk. Maybe I can cut some scroll blanks and get it all together for you soon.

OR... I could have another picnic and you could come pick it up. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors