Joining in the fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkne

New User
Norm
I'm a college professor at Appalachian State University, and have taken up woodworking in recent years to satisfy my need to see the end result of my labor (something that educators never really get to see). So far it's just a hobby, making things for family and friends. I took a woodworking class here at ASU to increase my skills, and plan to keep seeking out new opportunities to learn. Right now I'm reading "The Soul of a Tree" by George Nakashima, which I highly recommend to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

Looking forward to learning more from fellow North Carolinians,
Norm

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Hi there am glad to here from some more folks up on this end of the state. I am in Spruce pine so if you start to the super walmart down this way holler and well get together.:gar-Bi

Thanks Mark

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Norm, you got a good name for a woodworker. What are you a professor of? Hopefully not English because that last sentence was really bad :embaresse I am glad that you could join us, and I look forward to your input in the forums and hopefully seeing some pictures of your work.

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the sawdust pile, professor Norm! Glad you could join us. I'm a bit south of you, but you'll find loads of info on almost anything in woodworking -- including avid followers of George Nakashima. We're here to help anytime, so don't hesitate to ask. And let us know more than your reading loves and post some pictures as you progress.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Looking for fun eh there, Norm!!!:wsmile::wsmile::wsmile:

Well.....

You sure found the right place here in cyberspace!:icon_thum Lots of knowledge, good advice and good fashioned good times here at NCWW.

Keep us posted on your active projects by posting some photos for us to see. We love pictures!

Have fun and by all means, stay safe!

Wayne

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Your intro echoes what an old school principal I once had said. He was frustrated too because he felt all he did was shuffle papers for 9 months and couldn't see any progress - except on a rare occasion.
Welcome to the satisfaction faction.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Great to have you with us professor. Join right in the fun. You'll get all the help you can stand :gar-Bi.

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Welcome to the site Norm! Always glad to see so,eone new. Make sure to post pics of your work! We love pictures.

Pat

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Greetings and Salutations! Welcome to the site. Lots of fun to be had and a great group of folks to learn from.

If you are interested, people often ask about woodworking classes. Your impression of the ASU class would be most welcome.

Jim

clarkne

New User
Norm
I'll try to respond to most of the previous questions/comments all in one message. I teach in the Communication Department at ASU, mostly courses in persuasion and rhetorical theory. I did post up one picture of a lateral file I built for my office. I'll post up some more when I get some spare time in between grading. The woodworking class in the Technology Department at ASU was valuable to me, because I learned how to use a lot of equipment better, as well as new techniques. I think they're changing their curriculum now though, and aren't offering a separate woodworking class--if I'm not mistaken, it's now a "materials and processes" course that includes basic metalwork too.

I'm trying to work mostly with reclaimed lumber right now. I got some wormy chestnut from a barn torn down in western NC, out of which I've made several things. I also bought 1000 board feet of reclaimed south-east Asian shipping container beams, which are a mix of various hardwoods and are about 2.5" x 3" x 6.5' long. These came from a company called Terra Mai out in California, which has some interesting wood for sale. It's great wood, although some of it is VERY hard and eats through my planer knives like crazy.

Thanks for welcoming me to the site!
Norm

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
A belated welcome to you Norm. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap The class sounds very interesting. There isn't anything like that in Wilmington. What a valuable experience. :icon_thum

I hope you don't mind if I post the picture of your lateral file for you. It is BEAUTIFUL! :eek: Nice work! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

IMG_00632.JPG

I look forward to your input in the forums and can't wait to see more of your work. :icon_thum

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome! The website should greatly benefit, now that we have our own Norm (even better if you pronounce your name "Nahm"). :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS