Jig Saw recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I have, or used to have until my brother borrowed it a year ago, a Bosch variable speed model. I was never all that happy with it. Can't remember the model number but it's the only Bosch tool I've not been completely happy with.

Since he apparently likes it:roll: I thought I'd get myself a new one. What do ya'll have and like?

Barbara

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I have the Bosch 1587AVSP (model before the current one). Very happy with it.

As a woodworker, (and with perfect hindsight) I'd personally opt for a barrel style over the handle. I think you get more control and its easier to guide, but thats a personal thing.

I have liked the orbital action and found it does at times help in certain cutting situations.

Jim

M

McRabbet

Barbara,

I have the Bosch 1590EVS and really like it -- it is the variable speed model with the overhead handle, which I prefer because I have small hands. Some, like Froglips, prefer the barrel handle, but it didn't fit well in my hand. I've found that this is the smoothest cutting jigsaw I've every had (3 in 40 years), particularly because of the variable speed and the adjustable stroke angle. I've cut everything from hardwood plywood without damaging the veneer to 1/8" steel with mine. Expensive tool, but well worth the price.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The high end Bosch saws are much heavier duty and better built than the low/medium grade versions. My grandkids will be fighting over mine. I have the barrel model and it's a hoss unless you're only doing flatwork on a bench. Definitely consider the weight and try to test drive the handled vs the barrel versions. The dust collection adapter works well.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have the Bosch barrel grip (1591EVS) as well. IMO it is an excellent jigsaw. The barrel grip is pretty sizable, but works well for me. It is solidly built and I find that the weight of the unit gives me much better control. I have only used an inexpensive B&D and a Craftsman autoscroller jig saw, and this one is miles ahead of those two!

Last fall, I ordered a few Bosch XtraClean wood blades from Amazon, and they have provided yet more improvement to the jigsaw's performance.

Highly recommend the Bosch!

Wayne

jhannum

New User
Jeff
I have had a Dewalt DW331k for a few months and like it. It is the handle version, and I can see the barrell version being popular with some users. Make sure you get the right blades if you get one, I bought a few packs of regular blades and found out when I got home it took the "T" shank style. I know some Bosch take these also

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I have the Bosch "handle grip" also. Love it! :icon_thumPlenty of power, easy to control. The VS makes a LOT of difference when you get down to the "fine cutting." M2CW!
:wsmile:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Just got a Bosch barrel grip at Christmas and absolutely love it! I have been very aggressive and cut several thick pieces requiring coming from more than one side. I have only cut metal a couple of times, but again, no troubles...

b4man

New User
Barbara
Thank you all for your input. The interesting thing for me is the barrel vs handle models. I never knew there was a choice. I haven't shopped for one in a very long time tho.

After reading the hand size issue I will likely stick with the handle version which is what I had.

The comment about the several grades of Bosch tools also caught my eye. Don't know what I bought since I don't know the model number but I'll keep that in mind as well.

I always bought the Bosch blades and know for sure that would be a must.

As always, you guys ROCK! :icon_thum

Barbara

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
I have a Craftsman but am going to replace it with the Bosch 1590evs as soon as finances allow.
James

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The Bosch T380B Xtra Clean blades and my 1591 blows me away with how clean a jigsaw can cut. Almost can replace a bandsaw. Just wish they would sell a narrower blade. Lowe's sells them.

LeeNC

New User
Lee
Barbara,

I have the Bosch 1590EVS and really like it -- it is the variable speed model with the overhead handle, which I prefer because I have small hands. Some, like Froglips, prefer the barrel handle, but it didn't fit well in my hand. I've found that this is the smoothest cutting jigsaw I've every had (3 in 40 years), particularly because of the variable speed and the adjustable stroke angle. I've cut everything from hardwood plywood without damaging the veneer to 1/8" steel with mine. Expensive tool, but well worth the price.

+1
I love mine. Great saw. It still gets to top reviews as well.

Lee

DonDeJ

New User
Don
I used a Makita barrel grip (don't remember the model) for years. I bought the barrel grip because I thought it would give me better control. It served me well for years, but it's a fairly light saw, so heavy cutting would make it jump around. Recently a friend gave me an old Bosch handle style, made in Switzerland. I think their advertisements used to say "Cuts like a chain saw, runs like a sewing machine." It's a good description. The extra heft makes it great for heavy cutting, and it's incredibly smooooooooth. I haven't tried the new ones. I think they have one made in Germany and one made in China. Spend the money and get the better one.

Last edited:

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I have the Bosch barrel grip (1591EVS) as well. IMO it is an excellent jigsaw. The barrel grip is pretty sizable, but works well for me. It is solidly built and I find that the weight of the unit gives me much better control. I have only used an inexpensive B&D and a Craftsman autoscroller jig saw, and this one is miles ahead of those two!
Highly recommend the Bosch!
Wayne

My experience with the 1591EVS is similar to Wayne's. I prefer the barrel grip over the handle. I just feel like I have better control over the saw with the barrel grip. I was reluctant to spend the $$ on the Bosch but am glad I did. I also have a DeWalt 18v cordless jigsaw which is fine for rough cutting but I cannot get that saw to track straight or make a 90 degree cut....for some reason, the blade wants to bevel one way or another. Maybe it is blade choice (DeWalt blades) or user error, but I don't seem to have the same problem with the Bosch. Try looking at CPO Bosch for a reconditioned one if retail prices are more than you want to spend.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Well, you bunch of enablers have struck again:elvis:

Bought the 1590EVS yesterday @Lowes. Haven't tried it yet but have no doubt based on the rec's here I'll be happy.

Thanks for all your great advice:icon_thum

Barbara

bwat

New User
Bill
Ditto on the Bosch. :icon_thum As with most good power tools, also invest in good blades - and the right blade for the job at hand and you will not be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS