Is it wrong for me to ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
like to turn Acrylic pens more then I do wood? I have tried and tried to get some decent looking wood pens but I just can seem to get them to look good - Don't get me wrong I do like my wood but I just can't get them to turn out the way I would like for them to be - I told my wife to day that if I couldn't get this one to work I was going to sell all of my pen making stuff - I was about to give up on this one because the end of the pen mandrel was wobbling pretty bad and no matter what I tried I could not get it to stop - so I shortened the mandrel and turned the top part first with no problems - put the bottom piece on and there it was again - the wobble - I was about ready to thrown in the towel and something told me to look at where you have your end bushing - it was on the threads :embaresse not the mandrel itself :slap: :BangHead: so I readjusted the mandrel and smooth riding from there on out -
So here it is - Thanks for looking -
BlueBlack_Acrylic2.jpg

View image in gallery

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Sweet looking pen, Phillip.:icon_thum

I don't think you should give up pen turning. What types of wood have you tried turning?.

I'll admit I have had better luck with acrylics but that may be because I have spent more time trying to make them look good.

Don't throw in the towel yet...

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Don't see anything wrong with that pen. I'd be pleased to have it. And if you decide to really get rid of all your pen stuff, I'll send you my address. :gar-Bi

Beautiful job on the pen. I really like the blue color. Hope your next one turns out as well.

Bob

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
That is a beautiful pen. as soon as I can, I will post a picture of my acryic pen and we can compare work.
James

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
One of the best things about working with wood is - there are few hard fast rules. Even those can be (and are) stretched regularly - whether intentionally or not - by design or ignorance or necessity or any combination thereof.

Acrylics are an interesting medium. I've had good success and horrendous failures - just like in wood. Finishing may be a bit easier but is not foolproof.

That is a very nice pen. Glad you found the source of your problem.

Don't give up on wood. Learn to master it. Some woods are prone to cracking. Some tasks build heat which may lead to cracking - drilling, sanding, assembly...

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Phillip... Don't give up. I totally feel your frustration. I struggled with the CA finish for a while. I still do sometimes now. I want through a spell of turning nothing but Acrylics and thought I would just stick with them after having turned out some subpar finishes "in my mind" on a couple of pens. I was forced to make a wood pen the other day for an auction at church and picked my Nemesis Amboyna Burl. Low and behold I turned out one of the best looking finishes I had ever done Acrylic or Wood. I'm not sure if you are using CA for your finish on your wood pens. Just be patient and keep practicing it will come. It took me a while to figure out what I was doing wrong. My problem essentially came down to trying to sand to hard and not putting enough coats on the pen.

I really learned how to get a good CA finish when I made the Yager Pen
IMG_3205_1024x765.JPG

This was the one I put a yager label on coated with Modge Podge and then built up the finish with A LOT of medium CA.

Don't give up for sure. You have turned out some great looking pens. Keep up the good work....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS