Howdy from the new guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpjordan

New User
Bill J
The name is Bill. I am fairly new to wood working. I have completed a few projects with pleasing results and I look forward to learning from the masters. I have spent years as a Jack of All Trades and a master of None. I've decided to focus more of my time and cash flow towards tools and material.

One thing I have definately realized is I need more SPACE. My set up is cramped into one side of a 20x20 garage in which I share with my wife's car. I find myself rushing projects and skipping steps to avoid unpacking my tools from there clever nooks simply to avoid having to put them back. A big irritation to me. The next house will definately cater to my SHOP needs.

Other interests include the all around handyman projects, pistols, mountain biking, and the list goes on with dimensioned talent. My wife and I live in Knightdale, NC. We each met and graduated from NC State. Loved the area and decided to stay. We are planning on attending the 3rd annual picnic next month. This will be first time either of us having joined in, we're looking forward to it.

Until then...

Bill

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to the group! Glad you joined us. We have a mix from newbies to masters so please do not hesitate asking questions or offering suggestions. You will also find that we LOVE pictures! Enjoy yourself!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome Bill

You will certainally find a wealth of information here. This is the friendliest place on the www. please show us some photos.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Bill,
Welcome to the friendliest woodworking site on the web. We're looking forward towards your contributions, so feel free to join in on, or add new, any posts. I'm looking forward to seeing you at the picnic (my first).

Jimmy:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hi Bill, nice to meet you. I am glad that you could join us, and I look forward to meeting you in person at the picnic. You need to explain to your wife about all the nice things that you could make her if she only left her car outside. Whom ever decided that garages were a good place to park a car, was wrong.....they are painted for outside use :bduh:
I look forward to your input in the forums, and hopefully seeing some of your work.
Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bill, welcome to NCWW! The problem isn't that the shop is too small, you just need to convince your wife that it's better to park outside! Looking forward to seeing you at the picnic. In the mean time, we love to see pictures here...pictures of your shop, family, tools, vacation, projects, pets :)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome Bill! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

One rule that I've learned from folks on this forum is that cars are to be parked outside. There are no garages, only shops. :icon_thum I'm fairly new to this myself. I've been going at it for about a year and half now, but it is truly one of the most enjoyable and rewarding things I've ever done.

Other interests include....... pistols, mountain biking,

Do you pistol and mountain bike at the same time? :week: Just kidding. :lol::lol::lol: Can't wait to see some pictures of your work and welcome to the site!

Trent :icon_bigg

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Welcome to the forum Bill. I'll try to overlook the fact that you probably like the color "red" better than "Carolina Blue". :)

Glennbear

Glenn
Welcome Bill, until another solution presents itself , may I suggest something that a lot of us use........Wheels, wheels, wheels. Mounting everything on casters makes it a lot easier to utilize limited space. I currently have 40 casters waiting to be installed on my machines and benches :swoon::wsmile:

wpjordan

New User
Bill J
I looking forward to meeting some of you at the picnic.

Glennbear, thanks for the tip. I've actually put casters on my work bench last year ... I havn't been pleased so far. One, I probably need to build a beefier bench, but two, the casters make the bench shimmy when I have to hand saw anything. One of these days I'll put the necessary $ into a new bench.

It's all about prioritizing what to buy next.

Thanks again for all the greetings!

Bill J

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome, Bill! You have a great last name...my brother is Bill Jordan too:icon_thum

This is a great bunch of folks always willing to help. Don't hesitate to jump in.

Unfortunately, I can't make the picnic 'cause my niece chose that date to get married! The nerve!!! Hopefully, we'll meet down the road.

Take care,

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Bill,

Welcome to the NCWW. I'm glad you decided to join. How do you like Knightdale? My daughter and her husband recently bought a house there.

One question... why does your wife put her car in a woodworking shop? :gar-Bi

Ray

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome Bill!!!

About a 2 years ago, I shared half of the garage/shop with my own vehicle. THEN. I decided that I needed bigger stationary tools and then POOF. Priorities changed and out went the truck into the elements! Now. I just need to find a place for a chest freezer, treadmill, lawn mower, chipper, ladder, wheel barrow and garden tools and I will finally be FREE of the riffraff!!!

By then it will still be too small!:BangHead::BangHead: It never ends.

Hope you have a great time and post often here at NCWW!

Stay safe around the :tool:'s!!!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS