How to cut this crotch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
For maximum figure expression and ease of turning?? If it makes any difference my lathe swing is only 9".

Maple_crotch_001.jpg

Maple_crotch_003.jpg

And is this even worth turning into a bowl. It's Silver Maple from a client's front yard.
Thanks for any advice that can be offered.
Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
That's going to be beautiful! I would cut it right down the middle, through the pith of all three parts, so you have two Y's instead of one.

J

jeff...

Hey Dave, experience tells me, crotch figure will be just at and below the crotch and usally only 2 - 4 boards thick, starting at the pith. The way this one is swolen, I wouldn't be suprised if the figure is a little bigger in this log. Thanks for the side view... :-D Looks like you got a nice turning piece there. Should make for some interesting stock.

You might want to consider seeing if you can get it to splat after you saw it up. Wet it down with rain water, keep it sealed in a plastic trash bag, keep it at around 80 degrees for a few months and see if it's going to splat any.

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's going to be beautiful! I would cut it right down the middle, through the pith of all three parts, so you have two Y's instead of one.

Monty, if I go that route, which is also the way I am leaning. Should I cut off some of the bulge to make it easier to mount on a face plate and hollow from the middle out (bark side being the bottom of the bowl)??

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Dave
I do not know much about prepping crotch wood but I think Monty has a good idea. You could mount between centers to start roughing it for stability then turn a raised or recessed spigot. Just my $.02

DaveO

New User
DaveO
At least I didn't take the picture like I had it sitting in my truck Friday night....I'm trying to be good:evil:

J

jeff...

So what's the inside of that swollen crotch look like? pictures please...

J

jeff...

Sorry, I can't help it.

Every time see this thread title, I shudder:shocked7fl: :rolf:

Logging industry has some wild names for tree parts don't they? We're all waiting to see the figure in that crotch.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Logging industry has some wild names for tree parts don't they? We're all waiting to see the figure in that crotch.

My favorite from my Dendrology classes was Ganoderma or Butt Rot. I still have to chuckle everytime I think of it. It's a common problem in older hardwoods and conks or shelf fungal fruiting bodies are the first tell tale sign.
glucidum.jpg

:-D :-D

frankson

New User
Jeff
Dave, this should be a beauty...love to see the progress posted

However, I strongly suggest a local before the vase or bowl ectomy!!!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Originally Posted by SteveColes
Sorry, I can't help it.
Every time see this thread title, I shudder:shocked7fl:

Having just had hernia surgery, I agree whole heartedly!!

So what's the inside of that swollen crotch look like? pictures please...

Only the operating team knows, and there will be no pics!!

:rolf: (Actually, just sitting in a chair chuckling lightly)

Go

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS