Hi everyone-This is a great community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Hello from Kannapolis:!: Well to start out, I moved down to NC from Upstate NY in Dec 05. I have been involved in woodworking since I was a teen.(A Long Long time ago). I have spent the last 32 years either in the Army or working for them.

I never really set up a woodworking shop until I got to NC. I always used the faculities that the military had. So, when I got down here, I had to start out with mostly new tools and a new shop! I must say, it is nice to just go out and buy the tools, until you look at the overall total. But, what's done is done, and you just can't take them back. I think the LOML was ready to suggest that several times. But, I had a small shop, so I couldn't spend that much money...... Right??:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am also a member of the Charlotte Woodturners Club. All the time I spent over the years in woodworking, I never had the need to do any turning. So, now that I had the time to do it, I was going to learn how. It is a great club with great people and some very talented turners. I would strongly encourage anyone who has never done any turning to and is from the area to come on in to a meeting. I don't think you would regret it! Their website is: http://charlottewoodturners.org/

It is just my LOML and myself here. All the kids are grown up and got kids of their own. We have 11 3/4 grandkids, the 3/4 being a girl that is due in several months.:eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc, and I have to build a cradle for her!!! 7 and 3/4 are in the Kannapolis area along with 2 of our kids.

If I can help anyone out, please ask!! I hope to get to know most of you here!

May you have a great day!
Pat

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard. One basic rule, no pictures, it didn't happen. Seriously, look forward to your interaction and sharing of what you have going on.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Welcome to the site Pat. Travis has some important words regarding this site, so be sure you post lots of pictures. We're glad to have you.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Hey Pat! welcome to the forum.

what part upstate? I moved from Malone(hour north of Lake Placid) 18 years ago when I joined the army. More and more of us down here. We are taking over, good thing we won that war!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome, you havene't been here too long, the site or the state, so a double welcome from me. I look forward to tapping into your wealth of experience. Thanks for the introduction, it's nice to "meet" you :icon_thum

Dave:)

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Hi NCPete, I was living in Lowville, a little town about 20 miles from Watertown. It is right on the eastern end of Lake Ontario in the snow belt area. My last assignment in the Army was at Ft Drum with the 10th Mountain Division. When I got out of the Army a year later, I decided to stick around and get a job on the base!
Great place to work, but you also have to like the Winter weather. You usually have winter weather from Oct to May, snow measured in feet instead of inches, and temps that are unbelievablely cold.
This is going to be my first southern summer in25 plus years. Gonna be a hot one!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The heat is one thing, the humidity is the killer. Walk outside and start sweating I believe begins in early July.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Pat, welcome to NCWW, I am glad you could join us here. I look forward to reading your input to the forums and seeing some pix of your work. Also, thanks for your service to this Great Nation of ours.

D L

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Welcome to the site------I think you will like this group. I have found them to be very cordial, informative and helpful.

Especially glad to see another member close by---we are only about 15 miles apart. Looking forward to your input!!:-D

Jerry

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome Pat!

Us newbies look forward to you sharing some of your WW'ing experiences with us here at NCWW.:eusa_clap I have been here in NC since moving from the Toronto area back in 1983. I sure don't miss the cold weather and snow either! (Needless to say, I think that you guys on the other side of the lake got a lot more snow than us!) I can remember as a kid, the snowplows and graders forming conveys out of Toronto and heading down to the Niagara Falls and Buffalo N,Y. area to help out with their snow removal!

Again. Glad you could join us and look forward to reading your posts and viewing pics of you finished work!

Wayne

4yanks

New User
Willie
Hey Greybeard, you are not alone in military and ex-military types here. Hope you'll share your experiences.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I fondly remember the blizzard of 76, when my fathers '71 Bronco was just a lump of snow in the driveway, and the 74 Olds wasn't even visible! 48 inches of snow in ONE DAY!

Greybeard

New User
Pat
I know about the humidity! I was down here for the funeral of our 13 yr old grandson last year at the end of Jun. His sister was the beauty queen for the American Legion and was in the 4th of July Parade. My daughter came up to me after the parade with 2 bottles of ice cold water and said, Dad, you look like s#%$ ! Drink these! I dumped the first one over my head, the second I drank!
This year I will be drinking a lot of water!

AndyET

New User
Andy
Hello Greybeard...
Can really get tied up setting up shop can't you? Had to be a lot of fun though. I remember when................

My Golden "Sam" and I Welcome you to the bunch. He's not much of a woodworker, but loves to get into the sawdust. Should have called him "Dusty".

I's Ex Military as well (Navy). Life member of the DAV.

Good Woodworking to you. You will certainly enjoy this bunch.

AndyET:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
WARM welcome Greybeard! Glad you came to NC, but please leave your winters at the state line :lol:

Sapwood

M

McRabbet

AndyET said:
My Golden "Sam" and I Welcome you to the bunch. He's not much of a woodworker, but loves to get into the sawdust. Should have called him "Dusty".
AndyET:)
Hey Andy, be sure you add "Sam's" picture to the special photo gallery for Shop Pets! My favorite shop buddy Badger is there, pictured with a friend of mine.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS