HF lathe motor burned up(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Just got home from an insanely long day at work and started turning a bowl. I was smoothing out the outside and noticed that I was stalling the motor by making fairly light cuts. :icon_scra I KNOW I've made way heavier cuts than that and it has been fine. It also started making a funny humming sound. I cut the lathe off, unplugged it and felt that the motor was so hot to the touch that I couldn't keep my hand on it for more than a few seconds. :wconfused: I also smelled what seemed to be melting plastic. I adjusted the speed and it would spin just as fast as normal, but the second I touched it with the gouge it would stall. So it would spin just fine, but it had no torque(?)

At that point, I started taking it apart. I took a bunch of screws out (pretty much all of them) but still couldn't get to the motor. After a while, I just said to ______ with it. It's been a LONG day and I don't have any more patience. Not sure what is going on. I don't know much about motors.

PLEASE HELP! :help::help::help::help::help:

Trent :kamahlitu :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Rob

New User
Rob
Trent, I hate to be the bearer of more ill news, but I had to return my HF lathe for the same issue. 2 months of use and the motor quit, pretty much like your describing, only difference was mine wouldn't start without me turning it manually. I took it to a motor repair shop and he just shook his head and said he couldn't fix a Chinese motor. If it's not that old, I would return it. I would have taken a trade in because so many others have had great luck with them, figured I just got a lemon, but they didn't have anymore in stock.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Rob,

That's what I'm planning on doing as of right now. I did manage to locate the receipt and will have to put everything back together. The four screws that went through the motor casing are going to be a challenge and I sawed one of them off, but it was the most hidden one. It's still a PITA that I'm going to have to take it apart, put it in the car and return it in Raleigh. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: I did speak to my boss and I think that is probably the best option. It looks like it may be hit or miss with the HF lathe. Maybe it was put together on a Monday or something. :eusa_thin

Gary,

I checked the belt and it had a very tiny tear in it, but I'm not sure if that would cause the motor to be boiling hot and have very little torque. :eusa_thin

Thanks fellas,

Trent

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
ah... that's to bad. It might mean you'll have to go flat for a while. You see I'm crying over here don't you :gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Trent it suck to take it back, but HF is very good on returns of defective products. I have used my HF lathe hard for 2 years without any problems other than a loose belt. So I suspect you got one made on a Friday or Monday.
A friend of mine knows the Manager of the Raleigh HF very well, so if you have any problems with the return let me know.
Good luck.

Dave:)

Rob

New User
Rob
Trent, I returned mine to the HF in Raleigh with no issues, I didn't even take it all apart, just pulled the legs off and took it. I even had some parts missing that I had forgot to pack with it. You shouldn't have any issues returning it.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Dave,

Thanks so much man. That is definitely comforting to know that they are good with returns/exchanges. Hopefully I can get one that was made on Tuesday or Wednesday. :eusa_pray Gotta put it back together first and I sawed one of the screws off that goes through the motor. I hope they don't inspect them very closely. :eusa_pray:eusa_pray:eusa_pray

Trent

rcauley

New User
bubblehead
It sounds as if the windings in the motor have partially shorted causing the current to be imbalanced. If there have been others with this same symptom, it probably is a manufacturing defect. A few years ago I was involved in the failure of a 300 HP motor that the manufacturer knew had a potential defect. It was cheaper for them to replace those that failed than find the ones that actually were bad and get them out of the system. Is it hotter in one area than another? Typically it is not economically feasible to repair a small motor with this type of damage. Good luck with the return.

skeeter

New User
Charles
What sapwood said. Give local HF store a call. Maybe they could change it here. I know you have better things to do when in Raleigh.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Charles,

I just thought that today and I might try it. Since I have the receipt, I don't see why they wouldn't. I'm just guessing that the don't have it in stock. I know when I was trying to buy it here I waited for 2 weeks and they never had it in stock. I'll call and see if they have it in stock and if so, I'll load that beast up and take it over there. :eusa_pray

Thanks so much everyone,

Trent

HLW

Harold
User
Clue me in guys. What is a HF lathe? Obviously it's an a abbreviation for a brand.It sounds like one I don't want to buy and I'm in the market for a new lathe. :dontknow:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Clue me in guys. What is a HF lathe? Obviously it's an a abbreviation for a brand.It sounds like one I don't want to buy and I'm in the market for a new lathe. :dontknow:

Harbor Feight

HTH

Wayne

( The popular model is HF 34706-1VGA.)

HLW

Harold
User
Thanks Canuck. Now I'm educated!! I saw their lathes the last time I was in the store in Asheville. I'm going to move up to a larger lathe from my Jet 1220. Don't ask me why. I really don't know why? It does everything I want it to and then some. I just bought the Jet new six months ago. I guess I've got the bug? My wants out weigh my needs, for sure.:BangHead:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Waves Hand
the bas Voice ON
(New Lathe bad)
pause
(New Lathe Real Bad)
(Wide belt sander, you need, yes)
the bas Voice Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS