Hey everyone, glad I found the site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlottend

New User
Brian
My name's Brian. I've always been interested in woodworking, although I've never done any myself. I figured it would be a good hobby in retirement. However, I just recently had my first child and realized that it could be a great thing to learn now so that I can build a few toys, window seats, shelves etc.

I have no experience or know-how, except for what I've read the last month or so on a few different woodworking sites.

As far as equipment goes, I have a few odds and ends, but mostly cheap homeowner tools (circular saw, drill/bits, hole saws). I'm limited on space so I can't set up a shop by any means (that will have to wait for retirement unless I'm lucky). Right now I'm scouring CL looking for deals on a good table saw in the Charlotte area. If you know of any, feel free to point them out to me.

Glad that there's an NC dedicated site out there. Can't wait to be a sponge and learn from everyone here.

Brian

M

McRabbet

Glad you've found our virtual sawdust pile, Brian -- we're happy to have you here. Don't worry about having just some basic tools -- we all started there, too. We'll be happy to share ideas, sources and techniques as you progress into some projects. We're a friendly bunch, so don't hesitate to ask for help -- the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask -- Ask and you'll get answers from this group. Again, welcome and jump right in!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Greetings! Don't worry, most folks think they can start out small.

Soon, they are selling their houses so they can move to a better shop :)

Ask any questions, folks here will gladly offer up opinions and offer guidence.

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Brian, I am glad you can join us. Remember the only stupid question is the one that is not asked...so sponge on and benefit from this wealth of local folks that are always willing to help.
I look forward to your input in the forums and hopefully seeing some pictures of your work.
Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome, Brian! You came to the right place. Everyone here is dedicated to helping you spend your retirement money on tools!:wink_smil
Don't hesitate to ask questions. Someone on here is sure to have an answer for you.:icon_thum

Enjoy the site and make some new friends.:eusa_danc

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Brian!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

Great place to hang out and lot's of good, free info here, just for the asking!:wsmile:

Wayne

nelsone

New User
Ed
Glad you found us! Woodworking is a fun and rewarding hobby. There are many different ways to go about it, so don't think the table saw is the best piece of equipment or that it should be the first. It really depends a lot on what you want to do. Knowing what I do now and having good idea of the type of projects I want to work on, I wish I had started with a good band saw instead of the table saw.

Have fun and ask away!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Welcome Brian. Whenever a good deal pops up on Craig's List, you'll know. We're in the "enablement" business here :)

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome, Brian. Even without a shop full of tools, you can still build adirondack chairs and tables, and build sturdy cabinets with the tools you have now.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Welcome Brian!

I currently have a lot of time on my hands, so if you need to come borrow some time in the shop just let me know. I don't have the biggest or best, but you're more than welcome to come out and work on your projects ;-) So shoot me a PM and you can come play. That way you can get your feet wet and see if you want to make the investment in other tools.

bpeck

New User
Brian
From one Brian to another, welcome!

Shop space has been a problem for me as well, which is why I work mostly handtools. I just took over a spare bedroom. It's air-conditioned, heated and carpeted. The only thing the wife doesn't like is hammering, that and the fact that her jewelry box has been sitting parttially completed for ten years or so :gar-La;.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
Brian,

Welcome to the site. There is lots of good help around here but you have to ask the questions when you have them!
As for your "lack of equipment", you'll get over that. We've all been there and some of us have way too much now....Just remember to keep building stuff for the wife and kids and you can get away with bring ing lots of things home!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Brian. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Woodworking is a great thing to learn anytime and once you start, you never stop. There are lots of talented folks in your area, so hit them up for some knowledge and advice. And of course, there are the rest of us on here. Glad to have you on board. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS