Granite Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

smandal

New User
sumanta
I'm looking for a tool grade granite plate like this one from Grizzly
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g9654

I was wondering if there is a local vendor in Raleigh/Cary (within 50 miles driving distance) who can provide a similar tool grade granite plate.

Don't wanna spend $74 on shipping on a product worth $42 :tinysmile_tongue_t:

timf67

New User
Tim
They sell them at woodcraft in charlotte, so you can probably get one at the woodcraft in raleigh. i think the ones at woodcraft are ~12"x12"

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
The Raleighwood store had them last ween when I was in there for $19.99 I believe and they had quite a few of them. They were in the front near the register but when I went back a couple of days later they had moved them to the back of one the rows near the ramp to the wood area. Yeah, I'm in there entirely too much since they're real close to me. :gar-Bi
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004864/7535/Granite-Surface-Plate.aspx
HTH,
Brian.

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Try www.wttoolsouth.com, locate it Charlotte. They sell primarily machine tools & accessories but also carry some WWing tools. They have granite plates in several sizes at reasonable prices. The quality is more than enough for WWing needs.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I guess this is as good a time as any to hijack this thread and mention float glass.

I have picked up larger sheets of 3/8" glass that is quite flat for around $10. Any glass store can offer you any size you want. Many times, they have scrap that they'd cut a deal on. Be sure to ask them to smooth/roundover the edges, otherwise you will eventually say "ouch".

Without knowing your intended use, you might find the glass a good alternative.

I have two sheets that are 36x48 for use in sharpening and flattening as well as marking up for hand scraping. I will say that for marking up, I'm not so sure glass is the way to go, no pores like in granite.

I do dream of a large granite or cast iron plate, but not about the cost.

In hind sight, I'd recommend storing the glass on a flat surface on top of some thick pile carpet. It helps to keep the glass from sagging.

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
As an aside, I just love the Enco catalogs. I have no clue why, I just like flipping through it.

Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Somebody had a 5 x 5 machine shop granite surface plate on Craig's list for 500 or so. That's a fantastic deal if you have a place for it.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dennis must be getting his thumbs in the way with his crackberry
:rotflm:
Yep. My thumbs side by side cover up the whole keyboard so it does get kinda busy sometimes.
Thinkin' 'bout gettin' some geetar picks to use on the thing.:gar-La;
Thanks for the catch & cover. :icon_thum

Float glass in thicker sheets should do very well for sharpening. The thick carpet storage is a good idea too. The problem is most glass companies now order thicker glass cut to size & tempered at the plant. Worth a try, though.

smandal

New User
sumanta
Sumanta,

I just got the new Enco catalog and you can get free UPS shipping on this 12" x 18" plate:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=640-0422&PMPXNO=950389&PARTPG=INLMK3

for free shipping use promo code : PFSSEP

code expires 10/29/09

Jimmy,
That was very tempting :gar-Bi The promo code works only for UPS shipping and not for UPS Freight shipping.
Enco is charging $84 shipping for 24" X 18" plate. It was worth trying though. Meanwhile the 9" X 12" plate will keep me occupied.

Thanks
Sumanta

I did not mention the purpose of this granite plate yet. Sorry about that. I want to use the granite plate to flatten the sole of hand planes. I promise to make a youtube video of hand plane tuning and share it with you all :)
Thank you all for sharing very valuable inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors