Getting my feet wet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Been a back-and-forth kind've weekend :mrgreen:
first a little scrolling, then a little turning, then a little scrolling, then a little turning, then a little turning , then a little turning , then some more turning ....well you get the picture :confused_

Glued and doweled 3 different sized blocks of wood together , put it on the lathe and this is what fell out

skewmushroom.jpg

View image in gallery

Not a museum piece by a looong shot but I did almost the whole thing with the skew .......boy howdy am I impressed with you folks who are good with one :eusa_clap What a job ! This was a whole lot bigger when I started ! :BangHead: :rotflm: I think I figured some things out though :icon_cheers

Today I tried a faceplate with a big ol' rough-as-a-cob turning blank i scored sometime back . Again, it is a rookie effort and I didn't take very many chances as far as design and depth but I am pretty pleased with the results for a first timer and it was great practice. I tried some finishing techniques for this one and it is decent I guess. Certainly an improvement over my first efforts ( which I will never show anyone ) :gar-La;

At first I wasn't going to post them at all then I thought " what the heck, we're family here " and I am a little tickled at how they came out

Learned a lot and made a heck of a mess in my shop !! :banana: :banana:

Thanx for lookin' :mrgreen:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Momma always told me if I got my feet wet I would catch a cold. Looks like you caught a bug too, turning, turning, turning. It is indeed a good bug to catch. Great looking pieces.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You go Robert!!!! I knew you would take to the dark side like a fish to water.

Dave:)

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Good job my brudda = I would give you a big thumbs up but I can't get my smilies to post in my thread -

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Looking good Robert! :eusa_clap
I have been making mushrooms for skew practice also, but using fresh cut branch sections. That literally gets your feet wet. :rolf: If the doc wants to test my heart, he doen't need a treadmill. Just make me turn something with a skew. :wrolleyes:

Anyway, I really like the look of the sideways grain in the mushroom. :icon_thum
What is the size on that bowl? I like the beads (or do you call them something else on a bowl?).

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
NICE job bro! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I just had to look up what a skew was though. :slap: Too much time with the bowl gouge I guess. :gar-La;

CarvedTones

Andy
Trent,

The skew is prone to catches, which is why it exercises my heart so well. But some really good turners use it and nothing else for spindle turning with great results. Robert may correct me, but I suspect that mushroom is straight off the lathe. The skew will leave a surface like that. But one wrong move and the surface looks a field plowed at 60 MPH (DAMHIKT) ...

sawduster

New User
Robert
Andy is 100% correct. The skew leaves an incredibly smooth surface that requires little sanding and vurtually no tear out. He is also correct in how much damage can be done in a short amount of time :BangHead:

The heart gets 2 workouts. 1st when the tool catches and scares the beejeezus out of you, and then again during the subsequent cussin', kickin' and throwing of objects because ya just had to make one more pass :BangHead: :BangHead:

Andy is also right with his field plowed at 60 MPH analogy ....couldn't have said it better myself :gar-La;

I've watched Fred work magic with a skew and I am bound and determined to learn how to use it !

Thanx for the kind words everyone. This is fun but it will never replace scrolling for me :nah:

CarvedTones

Andy
Turning, carving and scrolling have always been the woodworking trinity for me. I have gone a while without the tool for each (or without a good tool for each, anyway) but I always end up drawn to them again. Scrolling always has a special place, because it is part of the answer to one of my favorite questions more than any other tool - "Dad, can you make me a _____ ?". I will be posting the answer to one of those questions within a day or two...

So how big is that bowl? You could face it off nice and flat and glue a scrolled wreath like lip to it to showcase a couple of your talents together...

sawduster

New User
Robert
The bowl is about 7" across I guess. Face it off flat :eek: ? Are you kidding ? i worked too hard trying to get a roll on the lip :gar-La;
I like the idea though :icon_thum

I do , however , have some ideas for some other combination turning/scrolling work ......gotta get better at the spinny stuff first though :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors