First Pens and Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I know, the photography is lousy but then I'm not into photography. Been playing with my new (used but new to me) lathe for the last couple or three months and this is the outcome. All the pens are based on slimline kits from various sources and the woods are from purchased pen blanks and from my scrap pile. First picture is pens and pen/pencil sets, the second are fan pulls and perfume pens. I made the stands as these are going into a local gift shop to see how they sell.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3972&c=197

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3973&c=197

George

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Holy smokes George... Those pens & pencils are positively gorgeous. And the stand is more than a bit impressive too. VERY nice work.

(put blue ink in the one for me)

Ray

nelsone

New User
Ed
Very nice work! This is something I want to get into. What kind of lathe do you have? Did you take any turning classes? If those are first time projects, I can't wait to see what you turn (no pun intended) out in the future!

skeeter

New User
Charles
Great job! Thing I like most about pens is the wood. Beautiful grain patterns. By the way, the stands are nice, too!

woodguy1975

New User
John
nelsone said:
Very nice work! This is something I want to get into. What kind of lathe do you have? Did you take any turning classes? If those are first time projects, I can't wait to see what you turn (no pun intended) out in the future!

Nice Job Gator. Nelson if you are interested in learning turning or pen turning check out Klingspore's class list. I've got a basic turning class and another pen turning class coming up in June.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/B71293EB/mac/template.mac/loadHtmlPage?htmlPage=kalendar.htm

Thanks,

John

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wow!

Nice work George.:eusa_clap

I too like the clever stands for those beautiful pens, pencils and fan pulls! That will be a very nice display, I am sure.

Good luck with the sales.

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
George, I think you are getting the hang of it :lol: Beautiful work, I want to touch all those pens to see if they are as smooth as they look :eusa_clap
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great job on the pens and pulls George.:icon_thum Please let us know how your selling experience goes with the gift shop.

D L

gator

George
Corporate Member
nelsone said:

The lathe is a HF34706 that I bought used from a member here. The tools are the $35 set from HF (some upgrades will be forthcoming if I move into bowls etc, but a grinder will come first. I took a basic 'Turning 101' class at Woodcraft and then played with a lot of scraps (in fact, still playing trying to master the skew).

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

George

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Nicely done, George. Practice makes perfect and the quality of your work shows that. Keep 'em coming!:icon_thum

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
great pens!

there is an antique shop nearby that some friends own, and I have considered putting some things in there, too. Really like the stand!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Smooooth Gator! They look great :icon_thum

Hmmm, perhaps some of the "pen" folk should bring a few of their wares to the Spring Fling. Like DaveO, I have the urge to feel the finish :mrgreen:

Sapwood

AndyET

New User
Andy
Beautiful work,

I love to make pens and such on my Shopsmith. They make great gifts, and I have sold a few.

With the quality of your work shown here, you will find a market soon for yours (even beyond all of your friends and family).

Great stands as well. I will have to try those.

AndyET:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS