Fern

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
This was on my bench during the Charlotte Crawl. Finally got it done!
Fern1.jpg

Basswood with walnut frame.
Finished with a shellac wash coat, a light stain, a little oil, and some dark Briwax.
(couldn't make up my mind so I just used a little of everything on the shelf :wink_smil)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That sure doesn't look the same as it did during the crawl. That is a beautiful piece.:icon_thum

nelsone

New User
Ed
That really came out nicely Pete! Did you intentionally shade the tips or is that just the finish? You are really getting good at carving.:icon_thum

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
:icon_chee Nice! The finish and frame really add to it ... I like it. You might cause me to try my hand at carving one of these days!

cskipper

Cathy
You really are getting good at carving! What kind of wood is it? Are you hand-carving or using the power carving tools? Oh yeah, what's the finish? Great job!!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks for the kind comments :wsmile:
This sat on the bench for a while as I wasn't very happy with it. But now that it's finished and framed I like it OK.

Phillip - I'm not sure how much time is in it. I worked on it off and on over about 6 week so ??? But trying to smooth out between the leaves did take a bunch of time and I'm still not happy with the results. Need to find a new tool !!!

Ed - I shaded tips were intentional. I wanted and old look so I put on a little dark stain (over the shellac wash coat) and wiped it off right away. After that I applied the dark Briwax and buffed it out with a shoe brush. That's what gives it the sheen (which is not as glossy as it appears in the photo.

Cathy - Hand carving and you have to start reading the caption under the photos :wink_smil:slap:

pete

Mike Callihan

New User
Mike
Pete

Lovely work. I tried to comment on you spoon and tree as well but for some reason the thread was closed. I think the spoon is exceptional, the tree is mind boggling. I'm not sure how you kept your levels straight.

Mike

SSuther

New User
Stan
Now that's the kind of carving I like. What an inspiration! I've carved a bit off and on, but that's enough to send me back to the shop to start a new project.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks again guys :wsmile:

Mike - As far as keeping the levels straight on the tree . . .
I didn't establish levels as you normally would do with a relief carving.
I just started hacking away and as I went along thought "well, this goes under that and over that" ,etc.
I never made any mistakes doing it that way but did make a few "design changes!" :wink_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS