Double Dresser Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I "worked" most of the day on the double dresser but it really doesn't show on the dresser. I received the new Veritas #6 Foreplane I ordered yesterday and I spent some time getting to know it. This is my first good plane and I am amazed how much better it is than the Craftsman and Buck Bros. planes I recently bought. It was ready to go out of the box and really easy to use. Now, I want a couple of more! I also spent a couple of hours getting the sanding dust out of my shop. Getting some more hand planes and some scrapers will definitely help the dust situation. Of course, I have to learn how to use them.

I did manage to get one drawer cut, put together, and installed. I struggled with spending the extra cash on the full extension, ball bearing slides but, I am glad that I did. They are so smooth and they were a snap to install.

I used my new table saw to cut the grooves for the bottom of the drawer to fit into. I don't have a dado blade yet but, it didn't take too many passes to get it wide enough for the plywood to fit into. I looked and looked for some decent plywood but I only found two pieces that were usable. I settled for birch but I wanted oak. I hope I can find a couple of more pieces. I will use thicker plywood for the four bottom drawers for extra strength. I guess I need to use some sort of center support for these drawers too?

So far, I am pleased with the work, considering this is only my third attempt at woodworking. Here are some pics - check out the new plane! :eusa_danc

387458263_27FtZ-M.jpg

387465185_NtEJX-M.jpg

387467665_J9ErK-M.jpg

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
that's gonna be beautiful when it is done, please keep the progress pics coming:thumbs_up

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Michael, that looks great. If this is only your 3rd project, you will go far. I hate you already :) Getting an even reveal around drawers is not as simple as it looks. Granted, the slides have some wiggle room, but it still takes a good eye. Yours looks great.

I don't think you need a center support for the drawers, not unless you plan to store gold bullion in them. You can use the Sagulator to calculate deflection if you want to make sure.

And you're going to love that plane. I have a Veritas Jack plane, I don't really use it, I just look at it and occasionally polish it :) Actually, I find I use hand tools more and more, I want a jointer plane and a good scrub plane to round things out....

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
AAAAAHHHHH!!!! A project and a new toyl!!!

Dresser looks great!!! FWIW, I only put 1/4" plywood in drawer bottoms for dressers. Have never had an issue with it. Be careful with plywood from Lowes, HD, etc. Thickness varies from sheet to sheet!

Good luck and keep the pictures and updates coming!!!

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Thanks for comments, the Sagulator link, and the tips on the drawer bottoms. I think 1/4 plywood will be good. I made the drawers deep so I could put insulated coveralls and other hunting clothes in there. So, it won't be too heavy.

I am so amazed with the quality of that plane. I was very frustrated with the Buck Brox. Smoothing Plane I bought from HD. It took me hours to get it sharp - of course, I am not good at sharpening at all! I finally got it sharp enough to shave but I couldn't get it running right. It makes sense that a tool that inexpensive won't be made to the tolerances needed to do a perfect job. It is a classic case of "you get what you pay for." The same logic explains why the two dollar clamp I bought at the tool store broke when I tried to get it tight!

Now, I need to figure out how to put a radius on the iron without ruining it. That may be beyond my current abilities. I am going to buy a back up before I try!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nicely done, Michael!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap You really did a good job with the drawer slides and fit in the opening.

(Is that a Ridgid TS2424 TS in the background? I had one for about two years before I upgraded. Great little portable saw!)

Please share more pics when you get the finish on it!:wsmile:

Wayne

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
The table saw is a TS2410. I had never used a table saw before this one. I looked at the Bosch but this one seemed like a better deal. It sure makes it easier to make multiple cuts the same length! I did buy a better, thinner blade for it.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The Buck Bro's plane probably isn't a bad plane, it just isn't "tuned up" and the quality of the blade probably isn't the best. You can get a new Hock or other quality blade, tune it up a bit as described in several articles and it should work well.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Michael: Really looking good! :icon_thum:icon_thum You're doing a nice job on that piece. For the future, if you need one, a simple wobble dado can serve you well for things like cutting drawer bottom grooves.

However, if you can afford it, you'll enjoy one of the Freud sets. You can find them on Amazon and sometimes on ebay at good prices.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Here is a pic with some more progress. Those drawer boxes take me forever. I decided to use plywood on the bigger drawers. But, I didn't allow for the thinner wood on one of the boxes and it was too narrow. Instead of making another box, I just made it wider by adding a strip of solid oak on the side. One of these days, I may go back and make another box - if I run out of other projects.

407584846_iZALd-L.jpg

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Michael, that is looking great so far. can't wait to see the final product. I wish I could make furniture...:icon_scra

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Everything is put together now except for the drawer pulls and I may put a board across the back to keep stuff from going over the edge. I need to make some minor adjustments to some of the drawer boxes. The low angle block plane is wonderful for fitting the drawer fronts! I gotta do a little more scraping and then it will be staining - my least favorite part. Here is a pic:

415252108_nbYLF-L.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, that is looking great. You have excellent grain continuity across the drawers. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
The second from the bottom isn't good at all. I ran out of wood. But, I hope it will not stick out too bad after staining. I am going to use a dark stain. I can always go back and build new fronts for those two if I want...

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Looking really great, Mike!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Good luck with the finish!

I am sure that it will be a welcome addition to the BR and will be treasured for a very long time.:wsmile:

Don't forget to share another pis when it is all finished!

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors